DIY temporary filter ideas

You mean hydrogen chloride gas and other PVC-cutting by-products? Chlorine itself is pretty harmless unless you are exposed to an acute dose - and you will smell it long before it reaches that level :slight_smile:

I am more concerned about some of the by-products of wood and leather cutting, since you often canā€™t smell them and some are genuinely hazardous.

1 Like

The toxicity of using PVC in a laser cutter is only one aspect. The HCl gas thatā€™s generated can combine with the H2O vapor by-product of combustion, and form a corrosive acid mist/vapor inside your lovely laser cutter.

You really donā€™t want to do that. :slight_smile:

http://fire.nist.gov/bfrlpubs/fire87/PDF/f87015.pdf

2 Likes

What I meant was anything with ā€œCLā€ as a primary element. You can call it Chlorine, Chloride, or infer it as part of Hydrogen Chloride. Any way you choose, I plan to avoid ā€œCLā€ in all forms.

1 Like

iā€™ll point out for everyone else; avoid all halogenated materials unless you know beyond the shadow of a doubt that itā€™s okay. no chloro-, fluoro-, bromo-, etc.

5 Likes

Indeed, I would certainly agree with that. Health effects aside, itā€™s not good for your laser!

In the context of filters, Iā€™m generally more concerned about things like chromium from leather which donā€™t always have an obvious odour and which do have dangerous side effects (i.e. cancer)

Iā€™m still unsure what I will do with my setup - probably vent to an outdoor filter similar to what you have proposed (although Iā€™m more inclined to simply buy one than build). Ideally if I have negative pressure inside the vent until itā€™s outside that should prevent contamination of my living spaces, and filtering it outside will reduce contamination of the garden, neighbouring properties etc.

2 Likes

Well Iā€™ve only done a bit of Googling on Chromium after reading your post, so Iā€™ll preface this by saying Iā€™m pulling this together on what little Iā€™ve read, butā€¦

Some articles I read indicated dilution reduction, which would basically be flushing the immediate area with lots of air. Not really filtration. OSHA compliance basically says Hexavalent Chromium should immediately be vented outside and not even captured.

Glowforge has mentioned that they have a few things ā€œin the hopperā€ regarding keeping the fans running after jobs, letting people control settings, etc etc. Iā€™d especially avoid Chromium items until Glowforge has an option to extend the fan runtime until long after the jobs are done.

personally iā€™m hoping for something like an ā€œadd 00:00:30 to fan timeā€ or the equivalent, just so you can really fully exhaust / pull away some of the odor

7 Likes

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

1 Like

I was just thinking about this and wondering whether you can do zero-power really slow engraves ā€“ add one of those to the end of each job.

2 Likes

Interesting concept. The UI will not go forward unless there is at least 1% power specified, but when we get the low power settings back that might be a really low number.

2 Likes

Ok, since I got such great technical information on my filter question here is a different idea. I do not have windows in the downstairs of my towne house that open, except for the small window over the sink that is already venting an air-conditioner, but I have a fireplace. Any ideas on how I use the fire place to vent or if I shouldnā€™t for some reason? And there is no place to put it upstairs.

theoretically this is fine if you run a chimney up through the fireplace - and of course, donā€™t use the fireplace. but youā€™ll want to get a professional in to install it. it might be against code, but it might also be okay if you specifically arenā€™t using the fireplace (because youā€™ve converted it into your laser vent stack).

1 Like

Yeah, most of what @jrnelson said ā€“ we donā€™t know what your intentions are regarding collaboratively using the fireplace and the Glowforge together. Youā€™d want to have the exhaust above the damper for sure, though.

1 Like

yeah, the big issue is that you need to vent it all the way up and out of the chimney, and properly cap it. for a run like that, youā€™ll probably need to install a booster, but i canā€™t say for sure.

@nunzioc is the one who looked into this. Not sure how it is working out.

1 Like

We wouldnā€™t use it as a fire place. And it will only be until the filter arrives.

then itā€™s something you canā€™t really do. the only way to safely do it is to install a chimney inside of your fireplace that reaches to the roof, and probably boost it. otherwise it would just sink back down inside and fill your room.

1 Like

No fires just art

If they used something like 2" thick pink foam insulation board, removed the damper and made the foam a tight fit and then taped all seams with foil duct tape it would likely work (as a non-permanent option while waiting on the filter).

1 Like

if you say so. iā€™m going to bow out here. i think itā€™s a bad idea and more to the point, unsafe. but it is your laser and your chimney.

quick edit: i think itā€™s a doubly bad idea if your townhome is connected to other houses. itā€™s a potential fire risk.

3 Likes