DIY temporary filter ideas

I am not sure why it would be a fire risk if the fireplace normally has real fire in it with no problem.

The fire place is on the end unit not facing the house next to us. My concern would be the venting not working and coming back in the house so the sealing of the flue seems to be the main point.

1 Like

It works…AWESOMELY!! No kidding, it was perfect.

Well, just don’t forget that you have that flue open when you think of turning on an attic fan, like I did…ONCE. Lol

4 Likes

Hope you didnt have too bad of a clean-up. Hhahaha oh man.

lol, luckily, no, was just a very smoky smell…whew!

I made that mistake once when I first got the house, but also luckily at the time it was just an empty room, and had not even been painted yet…

1 Like

Good to hear! How did you do it? Did you use that insulation board and duck tape as someone mentioned?
Pictures?

Nope; I just opened the flue, stuck the hose a few inches up there, let the flue drop back down to hold the hose in place, and that was that.

1/2 the surface area of the flue opening was uncovered, and it was still just perfect. The fan is so strong that you can actually feel a strong draft as it sucks air into the room, and it blows the smoke right up the chimney, with zero smell.

Prior to that, I was sticking the hose about 8 inches out of a window, and a fair amount of smoke smell would blow back in to the room. Probably from being sucked back in by the vacuum caused from the same fan that was blowing the smoke out, lol.

No pic of where it enters the flue, though, sorry, and I’ve had to move it from the spot; wifey wanted the room, gggrrr.

5 Likes

Problem solved! Thanks, now all I need is Glowforge.

2 Likes