DIY Tool

I kept losing my bone folder so I made a new one out of some Proofgrade walnut hardwood. Drew up a design I wanted in Illustrator, cut out on the laser, a little hand sanding to taper and round the edges. Job done! There’s something so satisfying about making a tool yourself in just a few minutes.

These handy little tools were traditionally made out of bone and they’re made for creasing and folding leather, but I mainly use it to open up pockets in wallets and such. I wanted a “finger” point to be able to get down into the corners better and it works fantastic.

65 Likes

That turned out really nice

5 Likes

Nothing beats having a tool that allows you to make custom tools for your needs!

10 Likes

So cool using a very modern tool to make a traditional/old tool.

7 Likes

That turned out great

4 Likes

This is very pretty in addition to being useful. All your products are so elegant and professional looking!

4 Likes

So cool to see “tools” being made from tools. I too make lots of little things for the workshop on the GF, especially my vast collection of push sticks for the table saw. I’m usually in a rush so I never engrave something on them, but I think I may start.

And now you made me want walnut hardwood! I’m in the process of building my wife a new crafting desk and the edges / highlights are walnut - such an amazingly beautiful wood! And it SMELLS awesome when cutting it…

6 Likes

Awesome use of the GF!

4 Likes

Excellent #practicalcut!

5 Likes

Everything you do is so professional. I love this new tool; and your wallets.

4 Likes

Can’t wait to see the results.

3 Likes

Very nice! I have a couple bone folders that I used to use all the time when I did scrapbooking, stamping, etc. I still use them to help crease and straighten out corners when I sew. Now I know I can make one on the GF if I lose or break mine! Good job!

3 Likes

Ooooooooh, this is pretty

3 Likes

When I ordered in my bone folder, I told my wife what it was and what it was used for. She asked me why it was called a “bone” folder, to which I replied it’s because it’s made from bone. I also might have mentioned that there was an option for human bone, of which I also might have convinced her that was the option I chose :sweat_smile:

Excellent execution here!

9 Likes

very nice!

3 Likes

Well done! This is something I will have to do…

3 Likes

Beautiful in walnut. Very nice shape.

4 Likes

Thank you! I’m glad my work is coming off as professional. I quit my day job (art director) a few years ago to pursue my craft full time. Best decision I ever made!

3 Likes

Have you ever thought of designing a sports car?!

1 Like

:thinking:

2 Likes