Do i need to make a tutorial on putting earrings together?

I am making earrings for the catalog and sometimes you don’t need to have instructions, but I don’t know if I need to show making the hardware attach considering it can be different depending on what people buy.
should I do it anyway?

6 Likes

I’m sure it would be educational for some, the glowforge attracted a lot of people new to crafting, and not everyone has those skills.

7 Likes

When I included instructions once for earrings, they didn’t use them.

I wouldn’t include them for earrings. I would just show various options if you have examples.

8 Likes

I don’t instruct on attaching hardware. I figure if you have a photo showing what kind of hardware it is, that it’s not necessary…ie. earrings with posts/studs or with earwires. Seems pretty obvious to me, anyway.

6 Likes

Hehe, I went a long time spreading jump rings instead of twisting them… :expressionless:

5 Likes

I know…same here.

3 Likes

I’d do one and then post it to the tutorials here if they decide not to include them.

4 Likes

If by “tutorial”, you mean video, then I vote no. I personally can’t stand having to watch a video to get information that could be easily shared with a few simple comments. Just yesterday, I needed to know how to do something simple (but hidden) on one of my vehicles. The mindless blabbing before he got to the actual procedure took longer than me walking back out to garage and performing the task (which took just a few seconds, once I knew how…)

This does, however, seem to be a trend these days, where many people seem to want to be spoon-fed simple information. So what do I know. I just avoid them and go find a more reasonable way to get the information I am looking for.

4 Likes

I make jewelry, so I have tons of tools and findings.
I printed my first wooden earrings, grabbed pliers and the ear wires with the tiny built in eyes, sat down to put it all together and said, “Yeah, this is never going to work!” LOL! I just added a jump ring and it was all fine.
The earwires that hook back into themselves don’t work well on their own either.
Everyone might not know, and might have made a special trip to the craft store for parts, then have to go back for more.
A general earring tutorial that can be made once and added to all of your earring projects wouldn’t be a bad idea.

2 Likes

lol
It’s not up to you whether they publish the tutorial or not. That’s their decision.
I’m just restating the fact that I made a tutorial once and it did not get published, and it was basically a waste of time.

3 Likes

2nding @trually, I’ve done the same – made the tutorial, wasn’t included when my hummingbird and fox earrings were published. So now I don’t make tutorials unless it is absolutely necessary for assembly!

2 Likes

On the flip side, I’ve submitted a couple designs that I felt were dead simple with no need for directions, only to have them notify me that they wouldn’t publish until I submitted them. ¯\(ツ)

5 Likes

ugh.

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.