Does anyone know of a support group?

Hi my name is Dan and I’m a drill/driver bitoholic.

Plus I had a bunch more not shown here. I’m in the process of cleaning/rearranging/purging my garage and figure I can better use the drawer space for other things. So I am transfering these bits into some containers that I can stack and store elsewhere. These DEWALT boxes had bits in them too, but they were in bit holders that were horizontal. So I made some MDF inserts and voila!

As it turns out, its Still not enough space so I’m gonna cut up the MDF in the drawer and make boxes to hold the rest.

32 Likes

This looks very organized! That is alot of bits:-)

That’s a great idea! My husband just got a set of those. I like the idea of storing them upright instead of horizontal. I’ll have to ask him if he’d like that. Could even label which bit goes in which hole (time consuming, yes, but maybe worth it?).

2 Likes

Upright stores more. Depending on how many bits you’ll put in it, that could be difficult to read. I’m toying with the idea of color coding somehow.

3 Likes

Ooh, color coding! That’s a great idea too! Especially for us older folks - tiny writing is hard to read! :face_with_peeking_eye: :face_with_monocle:

5 Likes

Yeah, maybe you have a bit of a problem, and it’s driven you to extremes. Maybe a screw loose?

Nice solution with the MDF inserts!

4 Likes

:rofl::joy: yeah, the inserts work, but the holes are not a perfect fit. I tried multiple sizes based on what my calipers said and finally just satisficed. I thought the laser would be more exact than my cnc, which is what the ones in the drawers were made with, but it didn’t seem to be.

sat·is·fice
/ˈsadəsˌfīs/
verbFORMAL
verb: satisfice; 3rd person present: satisfices; past tense: satisficed; past participle: satisficed; gerund or present participle:
satisficing: accept an available option as satisfactory.
“it talks about telling you not to just satisfice but to always look for the best”

4 Likes

This is by far the coolest thing ever. Im a dewalt junky and have lots of these boxes would love to buy ur file :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You have a problem man. Your bit habit is getting out of hand. Luckily you have moved past the first stage - denial, and accepted responsibility.
I envy your bit-wealth, and the organization.

3 Likes

I literally have hundreds of driver bits.

When I was married, I had a basement workshop, a garage tool setup, an “in the woods” workshop, and an “in the kitchen” set.

I deliberately ruled out houses with a basement when I bought this place, but I still have a garage, a gun room, and my main workshop.

… and I can never find a 10mm socket… :rofl:

6 Likes

I need the name of that support group when you find it. Asking for a friend, well, a hubby…

3 Likes

And yet, I never seem to have one handy when I need it :rofl::joy:

@melissacarvalho no need, I’ll post it.

screw bits holder newest

I have to warn you, and I hate to have to ’ fess up to it, but one row is a hair to small, so just copy and paste a column over it for placement then delete the smaller ones. I started with thick proofgrade settings on HomeDepot MDF then adjusted as necessary.

5 Likes

:+1:

1 Like

Thank you for sharing this! Since I just knocked my pegboard one off my cart and broke it, and the bits went scattering everywhere (I’ve found all but one…), I’m going to go buy an empty case and make one for me! Or hmm…maybe just make a box for it as well! The GF does have that capability! You’re awesome @djfb!

2 Likes

What a clever solution!

1 Like

HELP ME BEFORE I BUY AGAIN!!!

Go find a harbor freight. The prices are better.

1 Like

I went there first! I’m actually looking for pegboard hooks, but everyone’s shelves are pretty picked over.

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I must say I do miss stocking those.

That’s the only thing I miss about working at Lowe’s (besides a few coworkers and helping customers) - I LOVED stocking, especially “Hillman” days - when we’ get pallets full of nuts, bolts, all the little things. And I prefered to do it myself, as the night stalkers never paid attention to make sure the right tool was put in the proper place. They’d be like, “well this looks the same” and not pay any attention to what the item actually was. Made the work twice as hard for us.

3 Likes

The woes of anyone who gives effort in any job with grunts who don’t.

2 Likes