Does anyone know what the signs in (private property/keep out, etc.) homedepot are made of?

The reason I ask is my wife does cross stitching and in the past I bought some of these and drilled the 1/2” holes for her to use them to organize the different color threads. They are a good thickness, thin but durable. But doing them with the drill press takes for ever and they melt around the edges, which makes it difficult to do multiple at once. So if anyone knows offhand, I’d appreciate the info.

2 Likes

This video will explain how to test it.

5 Likes

You’d have to test the specific sign you have in mind, could be polypropylene (ok to laser), styrene (questionable to laser), PVC (VERY BAD to laser) or any number of other plastics. If you want to be safe without testing - hit up an art or model supply store. They’ll have clean sheets of assorted thin plastics that are labeled. (acrylic, styrene, polypropylene, etc)

2 Likes

I saw the video and was hoping maybe someone had alrEady tried it or knew. I didn’t know think about other stores. Thanks.

1 Like

For the enquiring minds that want to know, and DON’T have access to a torch; the sign burned orange. Fortunately, I received a kitchen butane torch unsolicited from Amazon (where there was a scam going on with customers receiving things they didn’t order. Something to do with gaming the review system.) and I also got this lovely pair of shoes.

3 Likes

model supply store

Thanks, I never even thought of going to one. Now I need to see if there is one in my area…oh joy, another rabbit hole.

1 Like

You can buy styrene sheets everywhere, including Amazon. They would probably work just as well for your purpose.

Look up the product online. Home Depot’s website likely lists the material, and if not, probably lists the product’s UPC barcode which you can search and find the manufacturer.

1 Like

THD and Lowes say “Plastic”.

I wasn’t sure “plastic” equaled laserable. But I have since tested and it is orange, so I am good to go.

Sorry - I was replying to mpipes who said they list material. All they say is “plastic”, which does NOT mean it’s laser safe.

“Plastic” encompasses Polyethylene, Polypropylene, Polystyrene, and Polyvinyl Chloride (BAD!) - and others, I’m sure. Acrylic is often referred to as plastic.

I personally would not cut it if I could not verify the material, or conduct a flame test.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.