Doll's House Kitchen

Here’s a mini kitchen I made for my daughter’s Maileg dollhouse. I based the scale on an existing washing machine she has. I think it’s closer to 1:8 than 1:12.

I decided to construct the units individually a bit like a real kitchen. This also had the advantage that I was able to use MakerCase - Easy Laser Cut Case Design to shortcut some of the modelling. I used the boxes with dividers for the two units with 3 drawers. I cut and glued on face panels for the drawers and ends. I decided not to mess around with cupboard doors as I hate attaching doll house hinges!

It’s all draftboard (3mm MDF) except for the worktop which is 4mm ash.

The sink I modelled in onshape and then printed in PLA on my Prusa Mk3 3d printer.

The tap is made from a radiator key and brass hook epoxy glued together, after drilling a hole in the top of the key.

The knobs are doll house door handles from ebay. I’d have likes something a little more deinty.

The final photo gives an indication of the construction.

If I were to make it again i’d probably have reduced it to 2 drawers each side. I think that’d make it a little less fussy. I didn’t paint the sides of the drawers as i was worried it’d make them sticky - but kind of wish i had now!

64 Likes

Welcome to the forum, that’s a heck of an entrance!

Not only that but special thanks for taking the time to write it all up, I know that takes a fair amount of effort. What a great end result.

21 Likes

Adorable! I love tiny things!

19 Likes

This is stunning

15 Likes

That is an amazing piece of work!

13 Likes

Everything about your design fits. Often miniatures have some element that stands out that is too large for the project, but everything on yours is perfect. Even the woodgrain on the counter top is perfect.

17 Likes

Welcome to the forum! This is absolutely fabulous! I am sure your daughter loves it.

13 Likes

Oooh, that’s darling!

13 Likes

Well done!

12 Likes

Thank you - She’s a long list of other things for me to make now!

11 Likes

Thank you - that’s very kind!

7 Likes

Thank you! It’s quite similar to our actual kitchen so I took some inspiration from that for the dimensions. I got lucky with the tap - i’m not sure how i’d have built it without finding the hook. Originally I’d wanted to paint the worktop to look like an off white marble but it looked terrible so i resorted to wood.

10 Likes

Wow, what a first post! That’s quite a nice build you did there. Ha ha, I’ll bet your daughter is looking forward to lots more. Welcome to the forum–you will keep us on our design toes, for sure.

12 Likes

Oh, I’m sure! Including a new dollhouse to go with all the spectacular furniture you’ll be making!

11 Likes

Welcome to the forum.

I am looking forward to seeing the rest of the appliances and furniture you will be making. I know your daughter (and her friends) will have long lists now that they see what you can do.

12 Likes

Oh that’s brilliant! The cup hook faucet is just perfect :heavy_heart_exclamation:

12 Likes

Definitely a top notch project and post. It is adorable!

11 Likes

That’s amazing! I love little things!

11 Likes

What a clever design! I love every little detail.

9 Likes

wow, very nice work. welcome to the forum

10 Likes