Don't take any wooden nickels

Ditto…me.

5 Likes

No worries, right beside you.!

3 Likes

Customized gold doubloons for my kids added to the list. The possibilities are endless.

3 Likes

@Xabbess, @cynd11 and @Drea Thanks for your support and understanding. I know with this forum, we’re not alone and there is always someone here to help, sharing thoughts and experiences. I think I’m just over anxious about getting started when I’m already seeing so many amazing projects already being posted.

Thank you to everyone for just being here and being supportive. :blush:

10 Likes

I work for the military and my hubby just brought up the idea of doing coins. If you don’t know they can be a collectable in the military, each command has at least one and they can be given as awards. I think this embossing powder would be a perfect solution to adding colors!

5 Likes

Challenge coins have been in my personal hopper for a while, so this thread has been quite inspiring.

5 Likes

You are…of course, you are! I’ve had the Glowforge for exactly two weeks today and before that I was exactly in the same spot as you are in now. I had not ONE design made up ahead. It’s great if you’ve been designing like crazy and have a stockpile ready to go, or like me…have nothing. The Glowforge is SO easy and intuitive you will wonder why you ever spent a moment being anxious about it. :relaxed:

3 Likes

Sounds like a great idea…and lots of fun to do!

2 Likes

Mine too. I have a community of old friends that would like some in memory of a beloved friend who passed away suddenly last year. When I saw @Xabbess’ embossing trick, I was very inspired … though I think my friends are pretty attached to the idea of some sort of actual metal. Will check in with them on that when I’m feeling a bit more adept with this tool :wink:

4 Likes

That is beautiful

2 Likes

Besides the Glowforge, I’m just a little over extended. Full time job (what a pain), just purchased a new six car workshop (now equipping the woodworking shop one third), Just purchased a 1966 F250 to restore, leaving for trip to South America in three weeks, Trying to keep up with the forum, and family. Also trying to keep up lawn and house maintenance on multiple houses. I know I’ve brought most of this on myself as my wife often points out I can’t just site and enjoy what I already have.

Some day, I’ll have to stop and focus on GF designs :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I did see a time before the challenge coins got as fancy as they do now (seriously I saw one in the shape of a killer whale) there were wooden ones. Our CPO mess had wooden ones with printing on them they gave out. It would be fun to find one and recreate it with engraving instead of printing.

5 Likes

You could do some fantastic things with wood as we have seen. I imagine doing some challenge coins with different wood inlays and embossing or enamel paint. I would make what you think will honor the memory of your friend, everyone will be happy with whatever memento mori you come up with. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I can’t wait! For the Navy and a lot of the other military seems there is a large tradition of hand made things like name plaques, signs, shadowboxes, ect. The hubs and I are constantly throwing ideas back and forth on things we see that get made for people that could be made better with a laser. It’s going to be super fun.

6 Likes

I did some last year for the George Washington Carver (nuclear sub) crew reunion last year out of 1/4"acrylic (along with some acrylic LED edge lit plaques and coasters). I used the boat’s plaque as the model.

5 Likes

All I can say is…YEESH!! :astonished:

3 Likes

Yeah, I’ll echo that…sounds like a lot to tackle! :relaxed:

2 Likes

Spent an hour or two at a craft store today. All sorts of ideas and embossing powder there. It is all just waiting for a Glowforge.

5 Likes

ok @Just-Maken-It have you graduated yet ---- are you to 2nd or 3rd grade yet? I’m coming up behind you in the Kindy realm I feel like. Every time I get on these forums it just blows me away with the creativity — feel like I won’t ever come close to catching up ---- but glad they are in the front showing the ‘upcoming class’ what fun things we can make with our Glowforge! I have just gotta get comfortable with Illustrator so I can move a lot faster as I’m not able to keep up with all my ideas yet.

1 Like

That’s one of those oxymorons like jumbo shrimp…

5 Likes