Doors of Durin Keepsake box

What’s better than facing the long dark of Moria? This keepsake box with the gates to Khazad-dum on the cover!! I’m loving Box-o-Matic. I can’t believe it took me so long to get the app, I thought it would be way harder to design a box.

happy

26 Likes

Beautifully done.

3 Likes

Thanks so much!!

1 Like

Speak friend, and enter! This is pretty! I’m a big LOTR geek though lol

3 Likes

What’s the elvish word for laser? I did this on the back side of a LOTR cribbage board. Just watched the trilogy recently too!

10 Likes

Ooooo, it came out super nice!

Here’s another Durin’s Door on the forum that I really like:

6 Likes

Nice work and beautiful piece.

I’ve always been a big LOTR geek, but it’s accentuated now by the fact that my son is a student at the University of California at Irvine (UCI). They’re known for a quirky streak (their mascot is an anteater), and his on-campus residential community is called Middle Earth, where all of the facilities are LOTR-themed/named. His dorm is Telperion. On the outside of some buildings, “Speak ‘friend’ and enter.” in Tengwar:

9 Likes

Hah, a hidden gem. Like moon-runes. Well done!

1 Like

Beautiful! the depth of the cut is perfect!

2 Likes

Exploring that when I was thinking about names, the best I came up with was CalimaCirma, which is approximately “bright knife” in Quenya. Not sure that would pass muster with a more serious elvish language expert, though.

4 Likes

Wow, brilliant!

1 Like

University of Miami was an Ibis till the Sports department did a takeover. They got very upset when Playboy did an article and implied it should have been a Sloth.

3 Likes

In Tengwar, “star knife” which is how I’d think elves & dwarves from the Middle Kingdom would characterize a laser is:

4 Likes

I considered that but, was trying to avoid the quasi-religious connotations and hyperbole. Plus I liked the way it sounded. :grin:

1 Like

(Nice work on the box, by the way, @ellyssakroski!)

2 Likes

Ohhhh … nice!

1 Like