Dragon fly wing

Thank you so much for posting the wings. It is wonderful!

3 Likes

I donā€™t know how this slipped by without my noticing it! What a gorgeous design!! I really appreciate your sharing it.

3 Likes

Not a problem

Awesome! Iā€™d be interested in tips and tricks for how you created the pattern(s) in Inkscape. Iā€™m assuming you didnā€™t produce all of those ā€œcellsā€ by hand right?

1 Like

There is often a lot of setting up but a sharp image can be traced by the Inkscape Path>trace command.

1 Like

Oh! So it started as a real dragonfly wing? Cool!

2 Likes

One trick i found was to import the image then export it with inkscape as a png at 10X the dpi usually around 960 for me. then re import the file and do the Path>trace to bitmap. gives you smother results especially with lower resolution pictures. I just play around with the settings with the live preview up till i get something acceptable.

3 Likes

made a couple more wings if anyone is interested. Went through and simplified all the cells so it should cut better than the last one i posted.
Other%20wings

13 Likes

Beautiful!!! :heart_eyes: Thank you very much :partying_face:

2 Likes

Oh not a problem it was my pleasure.

I ADORE dragon flies and also work in resinā€¦something like this on a small scale as the base with colored resin in lay would be marvelousā€¦thanks

2 Likes

that would look awesome. Iā€™ve been wanting to do something similar but cut 2 wings out of 2 different colors of acrylic or more and swap the cut pieces from one to the other. might not work well due to kerf loss but there is always a chance. I started doing the swap thing with acrylic and wood but then lost my mind about half way through because i didnā€™t keep the pieces in order so it was a very frustrating puzzle at that point and all the bits magically flew into the garbageā€¦ somehow :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Kitty approved and for scale :slight_smile:

12 Likes

If you remove the pieces with a strip of Gorilla tape they will act as one. :grin:

The full dragonfly is awesome!

1 Like

These are mesmerizing! I will try them once Iā€™ve learned to use my Glowforge (just got it up and running today). This is the kind of thing that made me want a Glowforge. Thank you for sharing your design! :smiley:

2 Likes

:slight_smile: Thx glad i could help

So, im still kinda new to this. Have made a few projects and still learning how to save files from here. Have passed a few up because I could not figure out how to save the file (or where to get the file from more exactly). Can you help me on this one? Where is the file to save for the body?

1 Like

There are three versions in the original post:

1 Like

This post is just the wings that i designed, the body file is available online but not owning the rights to distribute it i cant post it here. but it can be found online with some searching. There are a couple versions of the wings on here. there are the two at the top like @eflyguy mentioned and also a third one available lower in the original post.

if you want the double set or ones in images like this you need to right click and select save image as and it will save the file.

3 Likes

Thank you both very much :smiley:

2 Likes