Dragon fly wing

Not sure if anyone will find this useful or not but wanted to post something to the free design section.

Not sure what file types people find best but i have attached a pdf and an inkscape svg file.

Wing test.pdf (279.2 KB)

wing%20test%202

wing test 2.zip (253.2 KB)

Hope those are useful to someone, I’ve had a bunch of fun today creating the cut files and trying out a few cuts myself. I cut a few from construction paper and one out of 0.206" plywood with construction paper glued on afterwards ( I should have just glued it before )

Any tips or tricks people have for posting free designs would be appreciated. I primarily use inkscape . Have a great day.

Completed another set.
Other%20wings

Edit: Finally found a use for the wings :slight_smile:

120 Likes

That’s a gorgeous wing! Thanks for sharing.

5 Likes

I have been trying to get a good dragonfly wing for a while so thank you very much for the effort :partying_face:

When the svg file posts, for some reason it is very tiny so where it says the size (66 x 45 say) I frequently add a couple of zeros after and it will be seen. No matter how big the software will keep it on the page. In addition turning on fill, and using darker colors make the design stand out better.

5 Likes

Those are beautiful. Thank you so much for the files.

2 Likes

Beautiful! :smile:

2 Likes

Gorgeous! And thanks!

2 Likes

I love these! Thank you for the file. I’ve wanted to make a set from one of my photographs but I never did. I know it must have been a lot of work.

3 Likes

Also, the svg will post the entire white space of the page size too. If you want the wing to be front and center change the page size to match it before uploading. Like so:

dragonfly

(Uploaded with a smaller page size and then manually resizing the resulting svg in the tag like @rbtdanforth previously pointed out.)

And of course zipping and uploading the zip is a good policy to make it more “clickable”.

9 Likes

An ultimate work around, but not as good as doing it in a way folks can see it.

5 Likes

Absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for the share!

2 Likes

That is really beautiful! I love intricate cuts!

2 Likes

What is a good program for zipping? and i attempted to make the file larger after resizing it. it appears correct for a second for me then shrinks to oblivion. i changed it from 100 to 1000. not sure what i am doing wrong here. Thx for the info it is greatly appreciated.

1 Like

I was suggesting doing both.

7-zip is pretty good for windows…

3 Likes

Thx i have 7-zip but i must have made an error when creating it as when i attempted to upload it says not a supported file format. I was attempting to have both of them up there a resized file with shading and a zip below it.

Thank for the tips :slight_smile: looks a lot better now lol. @rbtdanforth @evansd2

Cool wing! Thanks for posting!

3 Likes

Very Awesome!

3 Likes

Thanks so much for doing this! Our house is called Dragonfly House and I have been wanting to do some yard art with Dragonfly’s… now I can!!

4 Likes

This is a fantastic design and super generous to share! I love the way you did not design all small segments with straight lines but kept it organic- how did you do that ??
I cut it in 1mm thin veneer. Not yet decided on how to mount it but the shadow of the wing makes it even more incredible!!

15 Likes

This is really cool. Thank you for the files.

2 Likes