Dragon Kirigami Pop Up Card

Apparently, I haven’t posted this here: in honor of the Year of the Wood Dragon, here is my dragon pop up card.

I made a short (3.5 minute) walk through of cutting and folding these cards:

60 Likes

Great work there. Thanks for the video!

15 Likes

Oh WOW!

13 Likes

Very nice!

12 Likes

Your cards are always a joy to see.

Really nice lighting for the photos! :camera_flash:

11 Likes

That’s amazing!

9 Likes

As a dragon year baby I thoroughly approve :clap::clap::clap:

10 Likes

Awesome! So cool.

10 Likes

This is wonderful! A year or so ago, I made a feeble stab at learning how to create and cut pop ups. A good friend of mine even bought me two beautiful books about the art…but, I faded out and went in another direction. Since I have an Aura and it does so fantastically with paper, this idea has again entered the back of my mind and now lurks. You’re in inspiration.

16 Likes

Thank you for this!

9 Likes

Stunning

7 Likes

I heartily endorse playing with it some more!

I have notes and, have made chicken tracks around creating some sort of online/video class focused on origamic architecture/ kirigami style pop ups. All of the existing stuff like that I have seen is pretty basic, usually just focusing on one or two mechanisms. (I actually started making project videos originally to practice for doing that.)

I’m here if you have questions or want suggestions for any of it!

14 Likes

This is incredible. Thanks for the video, as well. It’s cool to see it come together.

7 Likes

That is awesome! How long did the actual designing take you? Trying to think of how each fold and cut would go just blows my mind :exploding_head: and is something that would put too much strain on mine!

7 Likes

Thank you so much!

7 Likes

Your dragon is awesome! Enjoyed the video. Pop-up cards are delightful.

6 Likes

Not only great work but great presentation!

7 Likes

Well, I was thinking about it off and on for a couple years and, had a rough idea of the general structure. I probably spent most of a day prototyping and refining, as described near the start of the video. I roughed out the overall shape first, then added details in different areas in separate prototyping passes. I let it sit for a couple days after that to see if I still liked it or, if I wanted to make more tweaks, then optimized it for a production run. Months later, I made a smaller version but, that was pretty much just resizing and, optimizing to cut 2-up.

10 Likes

Absolutely Stunning!

11 Likes

That’s pretty cool! Very suitable for the Lunar New Year!

6 Likes