Drain clean-out door. 🚪

We had our house painted recently.
In the past, the plumber who installed this drain cleanout screwed the metal cover straight through the cap…

When the metal cover was removed sewage would come from the small screw hole in this cap.

I replaced the cap and didn’t want to put the same metal plate in place… so down a hobbit hole I went.

The tiny hinge made the plywood lift as I didn’t pre-drill.

There is a small magnet to keep the door shut.

I am happy with my creation.

It sits behind a piece of furniture… but I know it is there and its awesome. :slight_smile:

50 Likes

This is what matters :slight_smile:

19 Likes

That’s brilliant. Imagine moving into a house and finding something like that.

The only thing missing is a motto above the door. Bard suggests

• “Cloaca mundata, vita sanata” (A clean sewer, a healthy life)
  • “Ab imo ad summum” (From the bottom up)
  • “Purgare et protegere” (To purge and protect)

Though translation to hobbit runes may be trickier.

30 Likes

That is so awesome! I love it!

10 Likes

This is fabulous! A fairy door that leads them straight into the sewer! :laughing: (truly though…it’s a great practical idea)

13 Likes

Great touch up

7 Likes

That is great! What a wonderful way to cover the clean-out! Ours is in our laundry room and covered by a shoe organizer. But if we ever rearrange, I’ll have to take your idea and make one for ours!

11 Likes

Love this! I feel like a little mouse needs to pop his head out.

8 Likes

A very creative solution - I love it!

7 Likes

“No admittance except on party business.”

13 Likes

Great idea! A spring-loaded joker that leaps from a jack-in-the-box would bring another smile! :scream:

11 Likes

A little whimsy always makes things better. Great job!

11 Likes

LOL, that is priceless.

10 Likes

Words can’t express how much I love this!

8 Likes

I love it! What a fun way to conceal a hole.

6 Likes

I am a property/home inspector in CO-USA that also does sewer video inspections this is brilliant. First, that you know what and where this is. Many home owners do not! Many times we encounter these clean outs simply covered and in accessible much less decorated. If ever I came across this door I would state ““Sorry! I don’t want any adventures, thank you. Not Today.”- Bilbo Baggins Alas, it is my biding to venture into such places, oh the things I have seen.

16 Likes

Welcome aboard, and I hope to see more postings!

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum family! How long have you had a GF and be sure to share pics of what you make! We love seeing new people and seeing what they make. Join in often and you’ll find many great tips and ideas, and mostly, friends in here!

6 Likes

I love this practical and whimsical cover idea! The layering and hinges just make it that much more awesome. I bet every time it catches your eye it brings a smile to your face, and if you have company, some curious questions!

8 Likes

Mahalo! I honestly moved the furniture that was blocking it out of the way so it could be visible. :slight_smile:

8 Likes