Dremel Digilab laser cutter/engraver pre-launch at Maker Faire NY

Does anyone here own the dremel 3d printer?

That’s what the Dremel guy told me it was - coolant/chiller and air.

BTW, I didn’t see a camera in there when I looked inside. Posted a couple of pics but the head looked a little barren to me. Not very robust much less lacking in the camera department.

1 Like

Considering that, from what I understand, the chiller sidecar was supposed to be attached to the side of the case… and the case seems strangely familiar… I wouldn’t doubt it’s going to be exactly the same.

Thanks for posting @takitus! I wiki-fied the first post so people can update it with everything we know or learn about it. The product manager swung by our booth to say hello and take a selfie with me this afternoon - I’ll return the favor tomorrow and share anything useful I find out. :slight_smile:

We want folks to get the laser that’s right for them, whether we make it or not!

21 Likes

I have one in our library’s makerspace (the 3D40) and I have to say it’s pretty darn flawless. The only times it has messed up has been when the kids forget to build supports into their files or load the filament spools incorrectly.

Their new model (3D45) can do different filaments (mine is PLA only) and has a heated bed…they are offering it at a discounted pre-sale price now. They also offer refurb units of the older models at a good deal too so it’s worth contacting them to see what they have available.

Their tech support is also fantastic…I hop on live chat with them and can get an answer immediately.

I’ve been super happy with it…it just works, and when working with teens of varying skill levels that’s critical! Happy to answer any questions anyone has.

14 Likes

I forgot I took a brochure from their booth.

ZZ5C04BAED

I had a pretty lengthy conversation with one of a guy at the booth. I let him go thru his whole speal about how easy this laser is going to be to use. And how everyone will have one. Then I asked him bluntly, ‘This looks like the Muse from Full Spectrum?’ And his response was, ‘There is no secret that we are working with them to bring the easiest to use laser cutter to the market’

tenor

So I asked a couple key questions.

1. ) Are you using the same mechanicals as the Orginal Muse?

2. ) Are you using the same motion controlling platform as the original Muse?

3. ) Are you going to keep everything local on the device or will there be a cloud component?

4. ) How are you handling the exhaust and cooling?

5.) How Much?

I got a long explanation but basically, the answer to 1 & 2 are yes. The only change most likely the Dremel branding in the UI. All the feature sets will basically be the same. (For now it seems)

The answer to number 3 was interesting. He didn’t say no nor did he say yes. ‘The cloud has its advantages.’ End of line.

The answer for 4 was my favorite as he actually showed me how they are doing it. They basically have the same (basic) setup as the Glowforge Basic but externally. A passively cooled setup with a reservoir (As in a heat transfer manifold with a BFHS on it and room temp air being ‘pushed’ thru it). And a small airbrush style compressor for air assist. Pretty cool.

This takes what the Muse had and compresses it (ugh sorry) into a small external chassis.

And for answer 5. ‘Nothing to talk about today’ But then offer me to enroll into a contest to win one.

Edit: I asked if they made any changes to the stock Muse hardware. ‘We added some needed safety mechanisms, (a safety interlock for the lid) and UL listings. We also added some additional things that we can’t talk about today’

This is great. Competition is awesome for the end user. And Dremel as decided to join in the fun. I didn’t really care for FSL and pretty much counted them out. But Dremel?

popcorn_yes

23 Likes

Agreed. It sounded like a lack of support was one of the Muse’s biggest problems but I have a lot more confidence in Dremel. I’ve always had good luck with their products.

1 Like

Ah nice! Can always count on you to get the scoop on the needed tech info. Thanks for sharing! Super jealous that we could t make it and hang with you guys.

1 Like

So it does have a camera then?

It has so many bullet point items the Glowforge is missing!
It has SAFE, METAL CASE!
It has UNIT TOUCH SCREEN!
It has COOLING AND AIR SOLUTION! (External)
It Has USB ports!
It has RELIABLE BRAND! (Although I’m sure Glowforge will do well after this production thing is over)

I know it’s a rebadged MUSE with some UI tweaks but, Dremel! TAKE MY MONEY!!!
I can’t wait till Summer 2018

Said no one ever.

3 Likes

Not sure what forum it was but I remember someone mentioned that a GF competitor was coming out and that it was being made by a Chinese company… but the guy did not want to mention who or what perhaps this is it…nice but I already have 3 k40’s…Granted they may put the machine together in US but the some of the parts may or may not be manufactured in the US…so I wait for my GF and that camera feature that I really like

1 Like

The brochure says it has “camera integration”.

To most non-value, non-industrial laser makers, that means they sorta plan to have camera integration, maybe, but if cameras are never integrated then it’s because cameras are for nerds and please don’t bring it up again.

1 Like

Might be for the production units and one of the things making it a summer 2018 delivery :smiling_face:

Make has the intro from Dremel at the 32 minute mark.

1 Like

I look forward to buying the Dremel external cooling option and shoehorning it onto my Glowforge Basic when the warranty expires.

3 Likes

Kinda pointless as its literally the same thing that’s already in the Basic.

If it was active cooling (how the Pro works) maybe. My only reservation on not doing anything with the cooling right now is due to the coolant itself. Since for one, we have no idea what it is and secondly, they have sensors that checking for things like flow rate, before and after temps and more importantly levels. Adding a 3rd party cooler will increase the tubing length which will in turn drop the coolant levels in the reservoir. Last thing I want to see the ‘We detected something wrong contact support’ message in the UI.

The only real solution would be to flush the system and use a 3rd party coolant. But even with that and from what we have seen (specifically with the Basic) the coolant system is a like a bonsai plant. And changing it (the unicorn tears coolant) may cause other unforeseen issues.

Not saying it can’t be done. But if you are going to swap the system out, it’s going to have to be custom. And something that would fit in the Basic. (the basic chassis has the mount points for the Pro cooler)

2 Likes

I optimistically believe that the coolant isn’t some super-complex formulation, given the general availability of laser tubes. It probably wouldn’t be difficult to send a sample off to a laboratory (1|2|3) if it really came down to it.

As you mentioned, just drain and store the factory coolant. If you need to revert back, flush the system and replace everything back to what it was, including the original coolant.

According to the flyer, it will cost $$ , hmmm :thinking:

1 Like

I don’t know about now, but a few months ago, search results for the Muse would return just an army of angry video reviews. Did it finally come to some sort of competency or are folks hoping the Dremel sticker on the side will fix the previous issues the Muse was having?
I’m aware that the internet can be mean and most reviews are generally negative, so the thing could be just fine.

1 Like

Nah… I don’t see it…
:laughing:

Seriously though, is it just me or does the Dremel version just look better in that colour?

1 Like