Dremel Ultra-Saw or...?

I want a reasonably inexpensive tool for cutting down large sheets of wood/acrylic (i.e., 4x8). I’ve browsed around and the thing that jumps out is the Dremel Ultra Saw. I’ve already got a Multi Max and a rotary and they’re perfect for the one-off things that tend to crop up without taking up the space of full-on workshop tools.

Does anyone have feedback on using the Ultra-Saw for that purpose? Any tips? Recommended accessories? Or better solutions in a similar price point?

For full sheets, I don’t think the Dremel is the tool you’ll be happy with for very long doing both rip and cross cuts.

I have a Rockwell 5" ish (maybe 5 3/4) that is pretty good, but blades are hard to find (that aren’t for grout removal).

I’d recommend you get a circular saw–I have a Rigid w/ a 6 1/4" blade (as well as a standard size Milwaukee). The 6 1/4" is a smaller & lighter weight, so easier for smaller jobs like sheets.

But you can always have a full sheet cut down at the store (or big box ones, at least). I’ve usually done that just to fit into my car easily (works unless your job requires full sheets), as well as storing. And then it’s easier to cut down w/ smaller tools.

But whichever you choose, be sure you get the right type of blade for the material/type of cut!

2 Likes

I picked up a Ultra-Saw for ~$70 (refurb) and it fits my needs – occasionally cutting down larger materials to fit in the GF without taking up a lot of space. Others will no doubt have strong opinions pro/con, but for me it’s nigh-perfect.

1 Like

Japanese pull saw…it has the added benefit of being a good upper body workout. :smile:
(We must, we must, we must increase our bust…) :wink:

4 Likes

Thanks. I am completely in love with Boulter Plywood (which is not so far from me), but they charge $1.50 per CUT.

We’re not a huge DIY family, although I am working on building up my skills a bit in that regard. Point being, we don’t bring home a lot of wood. This is almost entirely for my GF. Just trying to find that balance between getting the job done and staying within my current budget. I will take a look at a smaller circular saw.

OMG. That book!

I just looked up a Japanese Pull Saw. That is not happening. I’d rather use my Multi Max and hack my way through. :wink:

1 Like

Thank you. It seems like we’d be using it similar ways (and quantities), so your input is really helpful. Do you have any trouble getting a (reasonably) straight line? The edges largely won’t matter, but I’m just curious.

No problems so far, since I’m not trying for a finished edge – just ripping to fit in the GF. One word of caution, though… It does not have a swinging safety guard or a brake, so be sure it’s free and clear when turning it on and let it coast to a complete stop before setting it down on your workbench. DAMHIK. :innocent:

1 Like

That’s what i’v been using and works for me. To make sure the cut is straight i clamp and piece of wood…

1 Like

A saw-max would work fine as well, clamp a straight edge as a guide and either will cut a straight line through 1/8th or 1/4" plywood like butter. A jig-saw would work too, just take longer but they are pretty cheap and much quieter. For cutting down large 4’x4’ or 4’x8’ sheets Kreg makes the Rip-Cut circular saw attachment that makes straight cuts up to 24" wide, I use mine a lot and I have a table saw. You don’t need a high priced saw for thin wood but I would recommend a good thin-kerf blade, it would be much easier to handle and faster on large sheets.

2 Likes

Thanks! You’re all awesome!

Ouch on cost per cut–but then again, how many cuts = cost of the tool? :smirk: But if full sheet no problem getting to your house, get a tool you’re comfortable with for sure!

I have the Ultra Saw and I don’t use it for full sheet cuts. Tried it, but it’s just too much. However, after doing a 8’ cut with my circular saw I’ve more than once gone back with the Ultra and done some touch-up where I “drifted” a bit (when not using a guide). Better than either I’d rather do it on a table saw or a better circular guide setup for sheets. Table saw is next purchase for me, I think.
For shorter cuts the Ultra is very handy. I would just stress caution, given there is no guard like you have with circular saws. Not a huge issue but stay focused!
And now you got me checking out the Multi-max… here we go…

1 Like

I have found that 4 cuts in the 48* direction at 19inches each cuts well on the pass through of the pro`of whatever amount needed and gets 5 approximately equal sheets easy to carry about.
I would consider the extra six bucks per sheet reasonable under the circumstances, but when buying 3 sheets the cutting charge is usually waved.

1 Like

Take a look at a panel saw. So much better than a table saw for that kind of cutting. I got mine used from some sign shop for 1/3 the cost of new. It’s on rollers so it slides against the wall when not used and pulls out to use. Just need a 20ft type free space to be able to easily slide a full sheet on & off the saw.

4 Likes

Yeah, I am happy to pay to have them make 3 or 4 cuts and then do the rest myself, but to cut down the whole thing is 21 cuts and that’s a whole other story, especially for a baltic birch or MDF, which doubles the cost. The makerspace only has a Basic and I’m buying a Basic as well. I’m not quite ready for Pro investment.

1 Like

1/8" plywood I use a linoleum knife or heavy box cutter and go through both sides to get major scores and it works fairly well to just snap off. I trade a little fuzzy edge for not messing with sawdust. Although I did get a cordless circular saw recently and that is nice. Just go out on the deck to do the cuts. I bought a plywood blade for it.

2 Likes

I have the ultra saw and used it recently to cut up some big sheets like that - beadboard paneling, similar to hardboard or chipboard. It was a piece of cake and produced a nice clean cut (not finish grade but nice enough.) I have a guide bar but for this just clamped a straight-edge to my work.

It’s loud, but powerful and also easy to set the depth accurately, that meant I could cut thru two layers on top of a piece of (scrap)plywood and barely marked the surface.

I have corded and cordless circular saws but the dremel worked fine.

2 Likes

This.

I can bring home the full 5’x5’ sheets. But, if I have them ripped into 3-20”x5’ sheets they are way easier for me to cut down with the circular saw. It can be a chore to set up the 5x5’ sheets to rip at home.

I use the Kreg guide attachment set to 12” to finish off the boards. No measuring needed. Just let her rip.

1 Like

Wow! You have 20 ft free space in your workspace? I would have trouble finding that without all the stuff blocking it.

1 Like