Drive-By Baby Shower Sign

They have twice now stated that it is multiple pieces combined together after cutting. Choose a good place to break up your design, and cut accordingly.

I wouldn’t recommend something like this for your first passthrough project. One length took like five processes on the pass-through. Also, make sure you can get the cardboard before setting your heart on this. It looks like a simple easy project, but, it’s not a beginner project.

In my software I created the name and then traced to create a second larger layer. Then I created the heart and words for the ends with an arm up to hold them.

It was at that point that the dovetail cuts were made through the back piece, just below the hearts (under the beginning and end of the name), and in the lower part of the heart. The dovetails are mostly hidden by gluing the letters on top. Each piece of this must be put into its own file for cutting, depending on the length of your cardboard. The sign was in three pieces for transport.

I would recommend doing individual letters to stand in the yard for a first project. Please feel free to send me a message by clicking on my name if you have more questions. Good luck!

1 Like

One thing I noticed with the pass through is it needs something other than a few lines to sync up to.
I added random triangle, square, circle patterns to score in the cutoff parts to busy it up, and it became very easy for the machine to figure out where it was as it was being brought into the next section to cut.

3 Likes

It’s worked fine for me with just simple boxes.

What type of roller stand did you get? That is something we want to get — didn’t know if the Harbor Freight type would work or if it was more work than worth it…Lowes had one that seemed reasonable (versus standing and balancing). Thanks!

It was from Menards, and think it was $10 in Christmas ad.

A very inexpensive one was quite adequate for this.

We have a menards somewhere around here. I will check online and see what they have and if they have curbside delivery available. I haven’t shopped there before so it didn’t even enter my mind to look there.

Here is what I used when I needed something to support a longer material – under the material is a sharpie balanced on the opening in the vacuum. :wink: It popped out when the machine moved during cutting — I think I need something a bit more “stable”.

2 Likes

I’ve been using the Harbor Freight roller stand. $17.49 Works just fine. It’s great if you have a HF near you. Unfortunately their home delivery has sucked since the pandemic start. Have ordered several items that took between 2 weeks and a month to get with zero order status.

Actually didn’t get the HF stand for the GF. Been using a couple in my woodworking shop for some time. Dual purpose.

2 Likes

Innovative!!!

I had so many pass-through cuts on this project I was getting quite tired of moving it from the rear to the front, and then back to the rear. So, will definitely get a second one.

1 Like

We do have a Harbor Freight about 15 minutes-ish from our house. If they don’t have curb side I’ll ask my almost 25 year old to go for me since he said he is “immune” to the virus and doesn’t have anything to worry about. :zipper_mouth_face: :roll_eyes: