Drive-By Baby Shower Sign

Made a sign of layered cardboard for a drive-by baby shower. 11 feet long.
Purchased 40"x40" cardboard and cut in half to fit through the pass-through slot.
Created a five-piece dowel rod holder to allow it to stand in the yard. It was a fun project.

26 Likes

That’s awesome! (Never heard of a drive by baby shower…people are so innovative.)

3 Likes

That’s a pretty awesome sign.

2 Likes

It’s the new fad with the Covid outbreak. It was nice, they had a table to grab a bagged cookie, a place to put the gifts, and we chatted at a distance. The soon-to-be Mom looked fabulous, and was thrilled with the sign.

4 Likes

I’d say you kicked your sign up a notch compared to the one layer printed ones! You’ll probably get a whole bunch of business enquirers now.

3 Likes

Nursing home here did the same thing for Mother’s Day.
No visitations allowed, so they lined all the elderly up in front and all the relatives slowly paraded by in their vehicles.
Did not think it would be enough so was pleasantly surprised when everybody had a ball.

2 Likes

Thank you. It was 10 sheets of the 20"x40" using the pass-through, plus about 4 more full bed cuts for connecting supports and the holders for the dowel-rods. So, I’m going to say, this was a labor of love. Not something I’d want to do for a business.

@brokendrum The assisted living did that for my Mother-in-Laws group out in Massachusetts also. She said they all enjoyed it so much.

My uncle turned 100 last month in North Dakota, and they let them celebrate through the window at his nursing home. My aunt resides there as well, so at least they were together.

4 Likes

How did you get the color with the white border? It looks beautiful. I’m trying to do one for my daughter birthday?

Hi … mine is two layers of cardboard. White cardboard used, and then painted the front layer magenta. It was done on a Pro using the Pass through slot to accomodate the 20" x 40" sheets of cardboard.

I broke the design into three main sections, and also the hearts using a dovetail connection in the back layer. When the front pieces were glued on to the front it stabilized everything.

1 Like

The sign is terrific. very young looking mom to be though. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ha! The cousin to be!

1 Like

It was fun to use the pass-through … even though it was cardboard. It was a very fun project.

funny you mention that. I just carried the first parts of the assembly that is an adjustable height desk that is going to be a work space, AND infeed table for Beamer. it is 24"x48" so it should work really well. At least that currently is the plan.

1 Like

I bought a roller stand, but need a second one. i was switching from side-to-side with the stand.

yep. I have a roller stand that will work as the outfeed. I would prefer to fire up the welder. well mostly turn on the switch. no real fire involved! and make a foldable bracket that connects to the cabinet I have. amazingly enough there actual overlapped edges that would easily work for that. I could just have it clamp on the front. that is a back burner project at the moment. I just want to get going on the passthrough. .

A pop-up bracket would be cool. I was getting tired after so many long cuts, and forgot the feet of the stand were there a couple of times.

Also, it’s on the dark side in that corner of the basement.

1 Like

and those rollers are notoriously unsteady too. That is why I taught my girls how to manage catching pieces off the table saw. a few dry runs with the blade below the table so they knew what to expect and we are good to go.

1 Like

I’m so sorry to ask such basic questions… is the white cardboard all one piece? Is there any way to share the file you used?

My file would only be good for that particular name. I used 10 pieces of 20" x 40" white cardboard which I purchased as 40" x 40" at a local packaging company, and cut in half.

I’m happy to answer any questions. Have you used your passthrough to get familiar with how it works?

1 Like

I have not had the chance to try it yet. This is my first go with it. My husband is around to help as needed. When the name was cut, is the white background letters all one piece, or did you cut it and fasten them together. Some look confluent., I’m wondering how many letters can be cut as one solid unit with the pass through. I was planning on going tot he local hardware store to get supplies, or Michael’s.