Dry Fly Presentation Box

My brother in California is a fly fisherman. He ties flies and he does woodworking. He’s and engineer by trade and is meticulous. He is in the Bay Area so we had a nice reunion at BAMF2017. He had an idea then to engrave the top is some boxes. I’ve done a few of these. Never posted. I do think a laser is a great thing for any woodworker for lots of reasons.

42 Likes

Nothing like that special touch from a Brother. Nice work Marion!

10 Likes

It is astonishing what that extra level of smoothing and finishing can make! From the flat blanks to the curved and lusciously finished boxes :astonished::astonished::astonished: Fantastic job!

10 Likes

That turned out beautiful!

9 Likes

Very nice

7 Likes

That looks great!

If someone can point out an article that will tell me how to turn my ugly laser-cut boxes into smooth beauties like this, I would love to see it.

4 Likes

If I were to guess, I would say post-processing with a sander. Followed up with a really nice finish (Poly-acrylic or some other sealer).

Sounds like the box was made with standard woodworking skills and just used the laser for the engraving.

6 Likes

My ancient adversary…

7 Likes

Gorgeous box!! Are those tiny little magnets?

3 Likes

Belt/disc sander followed up with foam sanding blocks.

2 Likes

Pretty!!!

2 Likes

Very elegant and minimal design - nice finishing touches too.

3 Likes

Yes, They work great.

4 Likes

Gorgeous result! I wish I were a more patient woodworker. I’m just not.

3 Likes

Really lovely boxes! And I like the way you casually snuck in the bananas for scale.

5 Likes

I concur… woodworking enters another level with a laser…

1 Like

Sorry but these were made with a table saw and other woodworking machines. The laser was used just for the engraving.

1 Like

Those are really nice.

Beautiful job! Got a nephew who would love that! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes