Dual of a half-truncated truncated icosahedron lamp

My newest polyhedral is a dual of a half-truncated truncated icosahedron using light and dark brown acrylic. Hanging light from Ikea assembled with 3d printed internal connectors.

34 Likes

these remind me of neutrino detectors.

5 Likes

This just rocks :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Curious about how it is “closed up” around the bulb/socket. Is there a larger opening at the bottom?

2 Likes

I created the socket mount in fusion 360 and had to adjust the connector pieces accordingly, but it’s all integrated into the design. If I had to do it again I’d probably make the socket longer so that the bulb fit into the center of the shape, but what I’ll probably end up doing is just putting a larger Edison bulb in there.

6 Likes

Kewl, but I was more curious how you get inside to hold/secure it while closing it up.

You mean to change the bulb?

Yes, or even just complete assembly. Beginning to suspect it involves long-nose pliers and dexterity… :smiley:

1 Like

Dexterity is needed, and challenging for me. But, this is just a boatload of screws and a small power drill and time. the bulb is in the socket before I screwed that piece into place. It was the last thing I attached.

3 Likes

That’s a lot of screws! Pretty spectacular!

3 Likes

Your projects are always such amazing tongue twisters! Very cool.

Is it just a coincidence that it bears a distinct resemblance to a coronavirus?