Dude! I made a knife (handle) :-)

I had this great old German cutting knife that the handle was just falling part, badly enough that we’d wrapped it in duct tape and kept using it…it’s been easily 5 years and I own a :glowforge: !

I watched a YT video to figure out exactly how one makes the pins go, and off I went :slight_smile:

To get to that, there were a lot of steps!

Click to see *so many photos*

The old handle…

First trace old handle:

Then remove old handle and see where the holes are (hindsight, I could have done this in the reverse order):

3rd cut out 3 layers getting progressively smaller and see if it works:

When it doesn’t, because either the holes don’t line up, or it turns out the blade guard angles away from the handle so your top layer has to be the longest of the three, or both, adjust and cut again! Koa cuts using PG Walnut Hardwood settings.
Once everything fits, and it’s going to work, glue it all together, return the pins, and start hammering…and hammering…and (you know, I could have gotten brass pins but nooooo it had to be steel because the originals were…). Oh yeah, and I don’t recommend hammering your hand.

Then the sanding begins. A Dremel came in handy to make this a fairly quick step. Using glue and the sawdust created by said sanding to fill in any holes.

Get your work cleared by your supervisor.

When the big sanding is all done, switch to hand sanding with a high grit, and then clean all the dust off and see what you’ve got.

and when you’re satisfied, rub and buff with some Odie’s oil and return it to the kitchen!

The koa I used is more from the stash I got from @amandarogers808 when I visited the big island. They don’t seem to be selling wood stock right now, but if they ever are get some!

The steel pins were from Amazon, as were the cutting wheels I used to get them down to size.

46 Likes

Woweee! This is fantastic! I love that you did that.

13 Likes

I’d say you nailed it…and I’m not talking about your hand :upside_down_face:

14 Likes

Cool restoration job there. The alloy in that blade makes the tool worth the work.
Those cutting dics referenced, at that price the grit is likely plated on. If you overheat it, the grit will wipe right off. The holes in them will help dissipate the heat, but kept cool, diamond tools live a long time!
Diamond grit cutting tools for dry cutting have the grit brazed on, and are not that inexpensive, which is why you can tell how the tool was made for the price.

That Koa is beautiful, and a wonderful choice - besides being an upgrade worthy of the German metallurgy.

On a side note, notice the sparks in the video beginning? the number of points the spark decays to indicates the content of the alloy. High carbon steel sparks end in a bright almost white tiny ‘firework’ burst, while mild steel is a single orange spark. A quick spark test will help you determine if you are working with mild steel or another alloy.

12 Likes

It heated enough that the pieces of pin were red hot - and no wiping. I was quite impressed with them!

10 Likes

That came out beautiful. Now I’m off to gather up all of mine.

9 Likes

At that price, I am too!

9 Likes

Very impressive!!

7 Likes

It turned out awesome

7 Likes

Beautiful! Giving something new life brings its own special brand of joy. Thank you for sharing.

8 Likes

Great work! I love your supervisor, soooooo cute.

7 Likes

Awesome!

7 Likes

I’m so impressed!

5 Likes

That is stellar. I’m really impressed by projects that involve beautiful finishing, it’s a kind of magic that is totally outside of my skill set.

7 Likes

nice work done my friend. i noticed that one side seems to have more layers then the other side or is it just a illusion from the camera? Other then that i have a lot of knives i need to do the same with. kidos to you my friend.

4 Likes

Fabulous job! I love projects like this.

My Dad always replaced handles of knives and pans. Really repaired anything and everything. I have a lot of siblings, and after my Mom passed we all took one or two of the knives. Nice memories.

8 Likes

I count three layers per side in all the photos. One side is dark/light/dark and the other is light/dark/light. ¯\(ツ)

6 Likes

Must be my age and eyesight. Sorry sir.

2 Likes

Sasha is an absolute love<3

I did surprisingly little! But yes, it’s fabulous to see wood go from pretty to wow with some tung or odie’s oil!

3 to a side, but yes I see the illusion too! After looking at photos I went back to the knife to see if the two sides were uneven, but nope :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Similar:

Haven’t tried it on a kitchen knife yet.

5 Likes