Dude! I made a knife (handle) :-)

Cool restoration job there. The alloy in that blade makes the tool worth the work.
Those cutting dics referenced, at that price the grit is likely plated on. If you overheat it, the grit will wipe right off. The holes in them will help dissipate the heat, but kept cool, diamond tools live a long time!
Diamond grit cutting tools for dry cutting have the grit brazed on, and are not that inexpensive, which is why you can tell how the tool was made for the price.

That Koa is beautiful, and a wonderful choice - besides being an upgrade worthy of the German metallurgy.

On a side note, notice the sparks in the video beginning? the number of points the spark decays to indicates the content of the alloy. High carbon steel sparks end in a bright almost white tiny ‘firework’ burst, while mild steel is a single orange spark. A quick spark test will help you determine if you are working with mild steel or another alloy.

12 Likes

It heated enough that the pieces of pin were red hot - and no wiping. I was quite impressed with them!

10 Likes

That came out beautiful. Now I’m off to gather up all of mine.

9 Likes

At that price, I am too!

9 Likes

Very impressive!!

7 Likes

It turned out awesome

7 Likes

Beautiful! Giving something new life brings its own special brand of joy. Thank you for sharing.

8 Likes

Great work! I love your supervisor, soooooo cute.

7 Likes

Awesome!

7 Likes

I’m so impressed!

5 Likes

That is stellar. I’m really impressed by projects that involve beautiful finishing, it’s a kind of magic that is totally outside of my skill set.

7 Likes

nice work done my friend. i noticed that one side seems to have more layers then the other side or is it just a illusion from the camera? Other then that i have a lot of knives i need to do the same with. kidos to you my friend.

4 Likes

Fabulous job! I love projects like this.

My Dad always replaced handles of knives and pans. Really repaired anything and everything. I have a lot of siblings, and after my Mom passed we all took one or two of the knives. Nice memories.

8 Likes

I count three layers per side in all the photos. One side is dark/light/dark and the other is light/dark/light. ¯\(ツ)

6 Likes

Must be my age and eyesight. Sorry sir.

2 Likes

Sasha is an absolute love<3

I did surprisingly little! But yes, it’s fabulous to see wood go from pretty to wow with some tung or odie’s oil!

3 to a side, but yes I see the illusion too! After looking at photos I went back to the knife to see if the two sides were uneven, but nope :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Similar:

Haven’t tried it on a kitchen knife yet.

5 Likes

Ooh - I’d forgotten about that! Seeing it may have been what convinced me to start thinking about it :slight_smile: Beautiful! How’s it holding up?

2 Likes

Perfectly. I re-oiled it about a year after it was done, haven’t looked to see if it has dried out at all lately.

3 Likes

Oh, what a lovely job you did on that! That knife would easily become my favorite. Definitely not for putting in the dishwasher!

3 Likes