Dungeon and Dragons Special Edition Tyranny of Dragons in Wood and Resin

No. i’m sorry if I’m being unclear lol There are 4 layers to this piece and the acrylic panel doesnt have anything to do with the resin pouring.

1. Back Blank panel - Board everything gets glued too.

2. Resin pour frame layer - Glued to the back panel. From here I mix my resin cups, pour, and swirl the resin with a pick to make the color waves.

3. Proof Grade Clear Cast 1/8th inch acrylic. This is the panel I think you are getting confused about. It has NOTHING to do with the resin pour. When I laser-engrave this piece, I laser engrave the mirror image of it. (if you look at the photo you will see that the blue dragon head is reverse on the third image rather than the correct way in the second)Because it is clear, when the acrylic is done I can reverse it and put it in place. While the Proofgrade masking tape is still on, I spray paint the fresh engrave black with spray paint. When it is all dry and I finish removing all the masking tape, the Clear panel gets put right on top of the resin areas well after they are dry.

4. Painted book art on 1/8th in wood - This layer gets glued on top of the resin frame and is what you see me painting red and gray

Finishing it off- when its all done and glued down, in the video you see me putting ModPodge along the Painted book art section. I am also putting it on the seam between the book art and the acrylic panel. I do this because I do a resin topcoat over everything. If i don’t seal the edges, resin will fall through the cracks. I cannot use super glue here because super glue fogs up clear acrylic.

I hope that helps!

7 Likes

BRILLIANT!

That makes so much sense. Thank you for your patience and the explanation.

2 Likes

Not a problem!!!

1 Like

Another very cool piece! Your artistry really shines through in all of your work. Really love your posts!

1 Like

Wow! So impressive!

1 Like

Thank you! I just love sharing with you guys because you all really understand the amount of work it takes to make the laser do these thing lol

1 Like

Thank you !! :smiley:

You could actually do this if going with a lighter color for the base resin. Then come back in with a trans color like a dye of the top of the cured resin to darken the other sections. Obviously, a lot more work but could be done!

1 Like

I know I’m late to the party but I just discovered this post and love the design! It looks like the link to the file no longer has the design listed. Is it available for free still?

1 Like

Says it’s free, is now on the patreon behind a Paywall :joy::joy::joy:

4 Likes

Welcome to the community. You may or may not get a reply from the original person…this post is over 3 years old.

4 Likes

Thanks for the welcome! Yes, I saw that it was an old post, I was just hoping the OP might still see and upload the files for the GF community :slight_smile: