Dust collection hose?

I’m guessing you keep yours super clean? I’ve cleaned the optics a couple times, but the insides need a good cleaning. I notice smells upon opening the lid even if it has not been run for a couple of days.

It’s clean enough. There’s a very noticeable difference between the lingering odor from the machine and the fresh smoke smell when it starts cutting.

I’m going to try sealing up the cracks around the door next time. I don’t understand the physics of it, but maybe that’s what’s happening.

What is this machine? It creates smoke to see where air is displacing it?

Pretty much a battery operated fog machine with some accessories.

http://amzn.to/2miAG9L

3 Likes

Awesome. Thanks!

I have a standard 4" inline duct fan on the “output” side of my vent setup, and I think that drastically helps keep the inside at a negative pressure. I have to believe it will also keep the ducts from gumming up as much. I leave it on between jobs, it’s not quiet, but it’s nothing like the internal fan when it gets going!

2 Likes

This is the secret to no smell.

Edit: if you can’t put it outside, here’s an alternative: Exhaust setup - #20 by Scott.Burns

1 Like

I have a sealed exhaust fan at the window end of the hose. It’s on the inside, but I have checked it extensively and it doesn’t appear to be leaking. The fan itself is ultrasonically welded plastic and is supposed to be airtight, and there’s only a short coupling between it and the window vent which is taped to hell and back with that sticky conformal butyl tape that I like. I remain at a loss to identify the source of the smell, but it’s very noticeable. It seems like all the “improvements” I do make it slightly worse each time. :-/

1 Like

Probably because the dust collection hose is expensive. Possibly also because it’s less flexible than dryer hose.

1 Like

I thought you might be smelling the build-up of stuff over time but sounds like that is not the case.
The only additional thing I can think of is to use aluminized duct tape everywhere, instead of the butyl tape. The aluminum stuff is definitely impermeable.

So is the butyl tape. It has aluminum on the outside, with a better adhesive.

Did I miss where you got it from?
Sorry Chris, I have no more ideas. Good luck!