Earrings with acrylic and paint pens, plus a fractal snail

My partner and I wanted to try a coloring technique that was less messy than resin or spray paint. We came up with a few fun new designs. Each of these is cut from a single 1/8" layer of acrylic.

I also made a larger snail and put a stylized fractal design layer in the middle. It’s about 4 inches tall This is two layers of acrylic, and one print layer.

51 Likes

These designs and your color choices make me smile.

13 Likes

Nice snails!!

11 Likes

The texture look from the engraving looks really nice, especially with the colors that you used.

9 Likes

The snails turned out great

6 Likes

Those are all so beautiful and bright! LOVE the colors and the fractal design! :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

Those turned out great!

5 Likes

We found 1/8 rather thick for earrings even to the point you had to get creative with the hooks.
The thinner (especially the two color) seem easier to work with and look the same, just thinner and lighter.

That said, great color work. Some really happy looking mushrooms there.

6 Likes

These made me happy, love the colors and designs. If my garden snails looked like yours, I’d just move them out of the garden to somewhere else.

5 Likes

The paint pens worked out great for those! Thanks for sharing.

3 Likes

Great job coloring them. Not sure I would have the patience/attention span.

3 Likes

Love all the color. So cheerful!

2 Likes

love these!

1 Like

These are so fun! Did you seal the paint with anything? Wondering if the paint would run if they were to get wet.

1 Like

Good question! We didn’t seal them, but I hadn’t really considered their water resistance. I just ran one under the tap for a minute, and then dabbed at it with a paper towel. None of the color came off. So, hooray! They appear to be waterproof.

Here’s a few more pics. We started using “holographic” acrylic, which makes for a really fun effect. We had them at an art market yesterday for the first time and people were ogling over them all day.

It’s the kind of “holographic” that shifts color as the light hits it differently.

The unengraved parts are super shiny.

The sound the earrings make as they click against each other on this display is super satisfying.

5 Likes