Ebay hardwood sampler

Yes, it really is a pretty nice assortment.

I don’t even know what to use them for. Will be a minute before I feel good about it. I thank you for the heads up all the same!

7 Likes

I think I’ll be bookmarking their store!

I bought from this seller almost a year ago…sorry guys, I never shared my find (not because I didn’t want to, I just never thought to). Heh. I was super happy with what I got too! Very good seller!! I bought some veneers as well, and will definitely be buying from them again!

3 Likes

I’m now in a drama with PayPal trying to get my money back from the-seller-who-will-not-be-named, so I decided to cheer myself up with new goodies from this guy*. Super impressed by the quick response time and shipping time.

*I was not convinced it was a guy and I hate making assumptions, so I stalked him online and confirmed. :wink:

Thanks for sharing the info.

4 Likes

I actually thought it was a female. Not sure why I came to that conclusion, but now I know too.

1 Like

The seller is named Kim Oberlin.

If anyone wants to buy stuff from him but doesn’t have an ebay account or anything, he also takes custom orders via email at deer56hunter@att.net

Like @ChristyM says, he’s a good communicator, and his products seem really consistent so far.

4 Likes

Maybe you, like me, know a lot of female Kims and not as many male Kims. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For those interested, he just put another pack up on his page.

It is gone now as I bought it.

4 Likes

You beat me to the big one, but I got the other one. :wink:

1 Like

New posting… maple with some character. Tasty grain here.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-THIN-MAPLE-BOARDS-1-8-thick-lumber-wood-crafts-inlay-veneer-scrollsaw/253954196729?hash=item3b20d984f9:g:VuYAAOSwlypb1e-q:sc:USPSPriority!30318!US!-1:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true

4 Likes

Yes I see that they had another huge Sampler set up this morning. Unfortunately I think that everything they sell is 1\8" or 3\16" and no 1\4" that I would really most want.

What I bought will do for my 1\8 " needs for quite a while unless some of it bends well.

Hmmm. The handwriting on the labels on my pieces sure looks feminine to me! But I’m not in a stalking mood, so I’ll trust your conclusions. :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you Google the username, you can come to your own conclusions. Could be another person, but seems unlikely. :wink:

Hey, I asked Kim if he does 1/4", here’s what he said:

I do cut 1/4" material, but mostly in domestic wood, such as red and white oak, beech, maple, ash, yellow birch, cherry, basswood and walnut. Also spalted yellow birch. I do cut exotic, but it is pretty expensive, for me to make any money at it.

I didn’t ask what “pretty expensive” was. His pricing is pretty fair overall though, so I would imagine it won’t be as bad as all that.

1 Like

I would think twice the weight and half the cleaning troubles. however for the time being I am full up certainly on narrow woods in the 3 inch range, though it has been quite an education concerning the quality of the result that has narrowed the number of species of interest considerably.

Particularly Zebrawood and Mahogany are on my “don"t buy” list. they are beautiful to see but far too flammable. On the other hand Padauk and Walnut raised considerably as I was able to cut even half inch material without turning it to charcoal.

3 Likes

It’s so interesting that mahogany is on your do not fly list. It cuts really nicely in the 1/8” thickness, I wonder if the additional thickness of 1/4” is the issue? Maybe we’re getting different subspecies?

Maybe my next mahogany piece will give me trouble and I’ll think “rbtdanforth warned me there would be days like this…”

2 Likes

i think that and the fact that most sellers don’t charge 2x the cost of 1/8 when selling 1/4. but if he cuts it into 4 his material cost is 2x of what it is if he cuts it into 8 (but minus the labor). so if his source material is more expensive for exotics, that cuts into it as well.

Not to split hardwoods, but I’d think it would be slightly less than that because of extra kerf loss when cutting 1/8?

1 Like

slightly, but you’d probably have to cut a pretty decent chunk to lose an entire 1/8" piece.

1 Like