Apple Pencil Box from stacked hardwood

I like this a LOT! What a beautiful job you did on it.

2 Likes

Simple, elegant, gorgeous.

2 Likes

Oh yes! The Yellowheart is singing!!! Beautiful job!!

3 Likes

Love this! If the file is ever available, I’m interested

It’s a wonderful box, indeed! Very pretty, imminently useful.

2 Likes

A really nice design! I prefer bamboo skewers to brass rods and there are 3x3 mm round neo-magnets that fit nicely at the top of the holes :slightly_smiling_face:

Agree that the veneer gives reason to the layers that I generally don’t like unless different species are used. The yellowheart apple will make it easy to find with a uv light :grin:

1 Like

It’s just a bunch of rectangles stacked on top of each other. Some of them have rectangular slots cut in them to make the space for the pencil. How many of them depends on the thickness of your wood. I used two solid rectangles of 1/8" walnut for each half of the box, with 3 layers (for each half) that have slots. The topmost layer has openings in it to fit the magnets. In between are corresponding layers of veneer, except you don’t cut the magnet holes in the top one, because it covers up the magnets.

4 Likes

I like it. And that is an excellent idea to change the -olarities. I’ll keep it in mind for the future

1 Like

You know, I see something I really like and then I scroll back up and yup, there is your picture.

This is lovely!

1 Like

This is beautiful! As if I expected any less once I saw who posted it. :smiley:

The last 2 days, I have been looking at all things Apple pencil holder. lol However, I ruled out boxes because I need it to attach to my iPad case. (Good thing, because mine would not look this nice LOL)

Sadly, my poor Apple pencil has gotten misplaced so often and mistreated, I had to break down and buy something from Amazon :roll_eyes: :rofl:

that I could have made myself. I can’t wait until my GF is functional again since the part is out of stock. Boo… Although this will give me the opportunity to study how they made it and come up with my own twist and make my own in the future, so all is not lost.

1 Like

Wow! What a nice gift presentation that would make.

1 Like

It strikes me that the technique is the perfect one for non-rectilinear boxes,

1 Like

As @evansd2 has repeatedly demonstrated! I’m trying to work up the courage to try one. :slight_smile:

1 Like

So cool where is his original Box post? I cannot find it?

1 Like

Simply beautiful!!

1 Like

He’s posted tons of them!

https://community.glowforge.com/search?q=@evansd2%20%23glowforge-project-examples%20tags:layeredboxes

Wow!!! I looked up his name wrong, anyway where is a good source to get hardwood like that reasonable?

I got my plywoods from https://smokeyhilldesigns.com/. For hardwoods, there have been a lot of good sources posted on the forum. I don’t have any favorites just yet. :slight_smile:

Kim Oberlin is a seller on ebay (or direct via email).

His prices are impossible to beat, but there is one caveat: he only sands to 80-120 grit, so if you really want to make the project look its best you’ll have some sanding to do. That being said, you’ll have to sand no matter what if you really want your project to shine, so…

If you want wood that is closer to ready to go there are lots of places, but I find Ocooch to be a really good source.

http://ocoochhardwoods.com/

2 Likes

I like the ouch, they are close to me that’s for sure… I’ll give the ebay guy a shot also…he is nto far away either in MI.

Thanks

1 Like