Eco Iron-On on GF Basic? RESOLVED

I finally had a chance to try the Eco Iron-On material today on my GF Basic and it did not go well.

Placed the material making sure it was flat on the bed, GF read the QR code correctly and set itself to Black Eco Iron-On, and I set the design to Draft Score (the HD Draft was more aggressive), with an outer cut line.

Looked like it worked ok, but while weeding the unwanted film, I discovered that the score setting cut all the way through the PG, instead of the desired “kiss cut” (down to, but not through the backing film).

I’ve contacted Support, but thought I would see if anyone had a suggestion…

3 Likes

I haven’t tried the Eco Iron-On, but have used another iron-on. I made a note of my settings but I don’t have them with me right now. I’ll be happy to look tomorrow and let you know what I used. It worked out really well for my “kiss cut” to not go through the backing.

5 Likes

Anxious to hear what you find out. I haven’t tried mine yet.

9 Likes

Support looked at the logs and said the auto-focus had issues with the black iron-on. They suggested adding a small piece of masking and using set focus. I’ll test that today, but not what I expected with Proofgrade…

7 Likes

I never know what to expect with proofgrade, but I haven’t had any “failures” with the old stuff. Haven’t tried the new stuff yet.

8 Likes

Hi brand new to this and following this thread of conversation because I just ordered some vinyl it hasn’t come yet, but I don’t want to destroy it either when it does get here what were the settings that you ended up finding out when you got back home to your paperwork and what do they mean if you would happen to know when they set a piece of masking tape on there and use focus

3 Likes

Just making sure that when you say you just ordered some vinyl, you meant the eco friendly vinyl from Glowforge Proofgrade, or something else that specifically states it is laser friendly. If you try to cut normal vinyl on your GF, you’re gonna need a new GF.

7 Likes

From Glowforge the eco-friendly, I have only had my Glowforge for a week and I have only made the gift of good measure and one other item. I have 1000 million questions I’m trying to get in escapes and it won’t load I have to do something to my computer that I don’t know what it means, and I have no idea how to do SVG and anything else so I’m starting from the very bottom of the ladder

6 Likes

That should say ink scapes

3 Likes

There should be lots of help around here on Inkscape. Most people use that to create their files. I use Illustrator, but it isn’t really worth the cost since Inkscape is free. There is a learning curve, but you’ll get it all figured out in no time. And feel free to ask around here. Everyone is super helpful. And the Forum Search feature is your friend. Type in “inkscape” or search any other question you may have just like you were on Google. Welcome, and have fun forging.

9 Likes

Thank you

3 Likes

Jeremy in Support got me sorted out:

1. When using black iron-on, adding a small piece of transfer or masking tape (I use TransferRite Ultra 582U) next to the “target” and utilizing the Set Focus command seems to have resolved the focus issue.

2. On a Performance Series GF (like my Basic), be sure to select Draft Score for the “kiss cuts.” HQ Score cuts straight through every time.

PS: Don’t forget to reverse/flip/mirror your design right-for-left! I now have a mirror-image GF logo on the t-shirt I’m using for tests. :blush: :man_facepalming:

11 Likes

honestly, if it’s just for set focus, all you need is a small piece of non-black tape—masking, painters tape, whatever—to create a space it can focus on.

7 Likes

Yes, that’s what I did - added a postage stamp sized scrap next to the intended target area. I didn’t describe it very well. Thanks for the clarification. I’ve updated my post.

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.