Edge-Lit LED Custom Signature Sign Plaque

Edge Lit LED Signature Plate Plaque - Double Acrylic w/ Signature Back Plate

I loved working on this project. It was my 2nd delivered GF product. I presented it as a gift for my manager and had everyone sign it prior. I used one piece of proof grade acrylic and 3/16" medium maple plywood. I documented full directions, hardware material list, plans. @ryandewitt

What I learned-

• Test little 2d cuts of items that fit together in 3D at a fraction of the total cut, not scaled. Testx2
  • Not Vectorizing Text can cause a GF App file error that’s not clear it’s your TEXT.
  • Presenting this as a Gift requires packaging (not just gift wrap) Makes a huge difference in appeared Value. Think about the BIG unveil. Make it Epic. I used a Cardboard hinged Lid and had the light already turned on.
  • Cardboard Packaging takes more time to cut and should be considered as part of the Design.
  • Scores are WAY faster than Engraves. I’m new. Sorry. Wait no I’m not.
  • Everyone loves the Smell of Burnt Wood, a little too much. I think our Caveman brains are involved. They needed a GF in that cave to etch rocks.
  • Cutting crappy 3/8 plywood is too difficult and not worth it. Make your own ply. Build and glue up progressive thinner sheets.
29 Likes

ROFL! Great job, and thanks for the chuckles! :smile:

3 Likes

What a great sign for a milestone birthday! Bet it was a big hit.

3 Likes

Great outcome. Could you please post pics or any details on your approach to your base as it looks forged. If not forged product source. TIA

1 Like

I didn’t know we were allowed to post links to plans on this Forum. I’m not sure. The preview is on my website. 5 layers of ply connected with dowels and glue. The most complicated layer is specifically designed to hold LED strip and connector. It took me several days to get perfect.

2 Likes

It’s generally not a problem from what I’ve seen.

What is against the written forum rules and guidelines is asking for someone’s design, putting them in a position to say yes or no.

4 Likes

Nice!

1 Like