(Edit: not) Dissapointed: New Glowforge PRO not cutting right side

Yup, just for what we see in the forum, a small window into the real world :-).

And it goes in two ways, we don’t see those who don’t post. I didn’t post the problem looking for solution, I posted after I had the solution and didn’t like it. My post was to vent my frustration with the company :-).

So, we just do not have enough information, we can only speculate and have fun.

1 Like

I like that you enter into a conversation with a lot of veteran users. I’m happy with the third refurbished replacement. Good luck with your adventures. When they work, which is most of the time, they are great. It’s a good machine all around. It’s got limitations, but I am backing the whole adventure for sure.

1 Like

Thanks for the welcome message!

Yeah, that is what convinced me to get into Glowforge: community and machine.

And I have been proved correct: terrific people and great machine (at least in the half that works , haha).
I feel super reassured as several ppl had told me to trust the refurbished machines. I will (I have no options, anyhow, haha).

I hope soon I’ll be able to contribute back to the community beyond solely my opinions. I already have made pace with the universe :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Btw, I’m guessing your machine is older than the warranty period. If so, then you received a refurbished machines even if the warranty has expired? How does it work?

No, I was still under warranty when I went through the process. I was in my last month of warranty when my first production unit stopped working. I had some focusing issues with the two replacements, but the third worked.

From what I have seen on the forum, those who go with a refurbished unit after warranty for repairing do get a good deal. Others who have had this particular experience will need to chime in.

3 Likes

Glowforge will provide support, parts and repairs to you for life, even years after your warranty has expired. The only difference is that parts and repairs are at your expense once the warranty is up (but tech support is free!). They’re in a weird transitory period right now: they used to have a repair facility you could send a Glowforge to, to have it fixed and then returned to you. But they no longer work with that company, and rumor is they’re setting up for in-house repairs instead. But in the meantime, if you’re out of warranty and have a problem that can’t be fixed by mailing you a part, they’ll offer you a refurbished machine at whatever the estimated cost of repairs would have been – much cheaper than buying a whole new Glowforge. You pay the invoice, then the process is the same as an in-warranty swap: they mail you a working Glowforge, you mail yours to them.

1 Like

I appear to unfortunately in the same boat @artexmg. Got my unit late December, did a couple quick test projects to play around. Arranged everything mostly on the left side came out perfect. After the initial “playing/testing” phase the unit went to work just doing engravings on leather products; typically placed centrally located.

Just a few days ago I attempted to cut out some draft board organizers while trying to maximize material usage. Everything past 11.5inches of the print area fails to cut completely through. Its definitely a gradual decrease in power as it reaches the far right side. Only cutting about a mm into the material. Super frustrating. I ended up having to hand cut the remaining sections but that threw all my tolerances out the window for those parts.

After 2 sheets dealing with the issue I just opted to avoid cutting in that area of the print bed and rotate the material around. By no means a solution; but a work around for the time being. After reading this post and learning that support no longer monitors the forums I’m hoping that I get a response in a timely manner via email.

While I agree; with the unit being new-ish I would rather receive a new unit in exchange. But I also don’t really mind if its refurb just so long as its in working condition and looks new/clean.

That sounds like a sweet deal, provided the refurbished is “like new”!

Sorry to hear that. The good news is that they responded in 1 day. The -potentially- bad news is that I’ve read that other users are still waiting for their replacement after one month. Since we have a half area working matching, the waiting time is not as bad as it could be.

I have been thinking that the initial standard test for new owners should include a trace over the entire surface. No need to waste expensive material, it could be done using 2 sheets of 20lb paper. This is how I ended up diagnosing my machine. You and I would’ve known the state of the machine since day one.

The suggested baseline test “the gift of good measure”, has a low probability to capture the problem.

Fun fact. In all the (few) pictures that I have seen, the laser stops at half the distance, not at a random position. I am curious to know the exact cause of the problem. I don’t think it is caused by a mirror shifted during shipment, that would produce a diminished laser at different distances. Maybe a piece was placed incorrectly during the assembly? wrong current to the stepper motors specified in the firmware? I don’t know, but now I think it is not related to the shipment. I will ask, I’m really curious. I guess they will not tell me though.

I have had one replaced in warranty and one a few years out of warranty. Both were indistinguishable from new and worked well from the start. I did open the lid on the second one too far and had to replace the black cable, Each new machine has had a longer mainline on the black cable than the one before.

1 Like

So, they charge for the repair cost and ship a refurbished machine? that is good!

They can ship refurbished or you can wait months for your machine to be repaired. I prefer the refurbished. The price is the estimated cost of the repair+shipping and even that is discounted from actual. It was a painful bite but better than alternatives.

1 Like

I see. If the machine broke after the warranty period, then not their fault. That you can get a new refurbished machine will speed things up. Agree it was a painful bite, though.:sweat:

I haven’t realized that the “actual” price of a PRO is $16K … now I feel I’m stealing them by paying the “discounted” price of only ~$6K :joy:

You pay the standard price to buy new, but you do not pay the actual price for shipping for example. (in continental US)

@johnathan.h.jones, I got the order for the refurbished in less than one day once I accepted it, and scheduled by March 23th! that is very reasonable. I hope yours is equally fast, or faster!

Luckily Ive gotten a response already; Requesting the same standard procedures; clean it print the ruler; send pictures. I sent them the requested documentation along with the photos of my 1/4 inch circles test prints I was using to determine where exactly the laser begins losing its focus/power. For me that begins at 11.5inches on the X. Good to hear your is scheduled to leave soon! I’m not looking forward to having to pack up the unit and drop it off for shipping however; hopefully I can schedule a pickup.

I 100% agree with you that part of the setup procedures should include some sort of test print to determine everything is in working order. Even if its the standard gift of good measure placed on the far right side or some small GF circles in various spots. I would much prefer to discover an issue then rather than down the road during an actual project and waste material (even if that material was “free”)

2 Likes

Great! they’ll get your printer in no time. Mine was already set up for March twenty-something (I think 23?), which is way faster than I expected. I hope the date doesn’t change.

And yes, I’m 99% positive that I read somewhere that you can set up a pickup.

1 Like

I am 100% positive as I have always done so. Not as positive it is a good thing. When it comes by UPS make sure they send two people and pay attention to the labels like this side up and do not drop or crush. I had two walk-in with the box upside down and another just one guy hugging it like it was a girlfriend. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Haha … maybe that guy REALLY wants the glowforge to be his GirlFriend

It is really hard for one person to get it about and that was the only way he could manage, and barely managed at that.