Egg-ztra Exciting Eggs

From the image, you have too low of an appreciation of your work - not at all unusual for artists.
That’s right, there is an artist within the engineer. :+1:

The lines that define the boy, how did you score them?
Too bad the laser has trouble, nacre and abalone were some I was hoping to work. The shattering I presume is thermal shock?
Considering the changes in residue that result from different settings, maybe it could be dialed in…?

13 Likes

Oooo, I really like it! I do hope you figure out something that would make it work, I think my husband would be interested.

2 Likes

Scored them with an awl. Filled the lines with lamp black mixed with an epoxy and wiped off.

7 Likes

Hey @rpegg, have you seen this article on laser cutting MOP inlay? I think he is using a 60 watt CO2 laser.

5 Likes

Thanks, I had seen that article the night before trying the MOP on the Glowforge. I think he is using veneer sheets of MOP. On the order of 0.008". My standard blanks are 0.06". As I said above, I am going to try the much thinner veneers soon. It’s not something I normally have because it’s too thin for some of my applications. Might work in a laser though.

3 Likes

Ought to try a big ol goose egg.

3 Likes

What?!? Seriously, that’s beautiful.

3 Likes

This is awesome! :clap:

2 Likes

OMG AWSOME I would have never thought of eggs

1 Like

Wonderful!

1 Like

Wow @Jules super idea I know you thought of it before, but now come to life.awesome

1 Like

So do you think that egg farmers have an MSDS on chicken eggs ?

1 Like

Probably better for us not to know, considering the part of a chicken’s anatomy that they originate from. :smile:

3 Likes

They do have MSDS available for many parts of the egg. :slight_smile:

You’ve lead me down the rabbit hole, Jules! Did you know they use this powder in cosmetics? https://www.ulprospector.com/en/asia/PersonalCare/Suppliers/13303/Kewpie-Corp-Japan/search?k=msds

4 Likes

Huh! Kewl! We can make our own face powder. (That’s efficient.) :grin:

1 Like

Awesome! I’m supper thrilled that this works! Ostara, the spring Equinox pagan festival, is a very important holiday for me and knowing that eggs will fit makes me soooo thrilled! I have plans on making laser cut eggs for friends and family. Wish I had my GF this year so I could make some. I’ll be patient and wait till next year…

I also plan on experimenting with Mother of Pearl and make replacement parts for watches and clocks. :smiley:

4 Likes

We did some really cool MOP inlays a long time ago - as with most things, it probably depends on the details of the material itself.

6 Likes

Probably wouldn’t fit.

Those are beautiful.

1 Like