Egyptian Cartouche king

Thank you! My husband and I are actually Assyriologists (both went to Hopkins) and I spend a lot of my professional life talking about these kinds of things. You’re exactly right; much of professional archaeology is paying a lot more attention to the ethics surrounding collection and museum practices, and it’s always a joy to see cultural heritage being repatriated!

I was just very aware that this is a thread celebrating your amazing creations, and I felt bad for further derailing it :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

No need to be sorry, you are 100% correct. To my Egyptian neighbor who was born in Cairo, it is a worthless piece of rubble, to me, it is priceless. Beauty (or value) is in the eye of the beholder. The thick carpet of fractured stone rubble on the ground will never be reassembled into its former glory, but that is no excuse. My naive neighbor knew I would cherish it, and she was right. I’m the one who is sorry, but selfishly I don’t feel evil for possessing it, even though I understand the moral implications.

3 Likes

No worries. There is always one who does so. I just try and give info for the questions asked. Feel free to join the societies and get involved. Take care.