Egyptian Cartouche king

Here is the first of my Heiroglyphic puzzle designs. It builds upon my original flash card hieroglyphs, ( which I’ll post. I forgot to post them a week ago) but now you can build the names of the kings and queens. I put them in Egyptian name ovals called cartouches. I thought it fitting to start big…the Great Pyramid king Khufu from the 4th dynasty. I’m doing Nefertiti next and then maybe King Tut! This is such fun! I used 1/8 acrylic and 1/8 birch.

41 Likes

Love it. Reminds me of shopping in the suq in Cairo, designing cartouches as gifts for friends.

2 Likes

Great idea! I think a puzzle beats flashcards by a good measure.

I have a good friend neighbor who immigrated from Egypt back in the '80s. He was back there with his American wife touring the Pyramids and she picked up a piece of rubble and put it in her purse.
He said, “What are you doing?”
“I’m going to take this to Dave.”
“Dave doesn’t want that…”
“Yes, he does.”

They were over one night, and her eyes got wide as she remembered. She told her daughter “Go get the rock!”

A piece of the Limestone sheathing that used to clad the Pyramid of Khufu. Imagine what it used to look like sheeted in that. My understanding of History is that Islamic conquerors decided to destroy the Pyramid as it was Idolatry, yeah, they gave up on that. I speculate that’s why the Limestone sheeting is rubble on the ground.

I was thrilled! I took it to my wet grinder to smooth the fractured edges to see the matrix of the stone better. I was a little astounded when I realized the shape that was emerging was - a Pyramid!

I’m quite sure it’s illegal to remove anything, if everyone who visited took a piece that size, they wouldn’t exist anymore. I didn’t take it - but probably would have.

I have a thing for History, especially ancient history. She was right, Dave did want that!
Before he left he asked if there was anything I wanted from Egypt? I requested a piece of authentic papyrus, and he hooked me up, and so did his wife!
I will craft a fine display for that artifact, so instead of an obscure piece of rubble on the ground, all will know of its magnificence. Just imagine the Pyramid clad in polished limestone glinting in the sun.

Sorry for polluting your thread, but any mention of the Great Pyramid of Khufu gets me excited.

13 Likes

Those are INCREDIBLE! I love them, and they’re definitely better than flashcards :smiley:

2 Likes

I love it! Thanks for sharing. I took lots of pics and just added a few more. I’m taking my second class on Egyptology with Harvard right now, so you’ll see more Egyptian stuff from me. It gets me super excited as well.

4 Likes

Excellent! I look forward to it. Thank you!

2 Likes

Very nice puzzle, the epyptian theme is exciting. I always love your work so thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

This is a fun story, that might qualify for the world’s biggest jigsaw! It’s mindblowing to imagine how that would gleam with it’s limestone cladding.

3 Likes

Thanks for the positive feedback. I’ll keep sharing. :heart:

4 Likes

Yes please do :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Wonderful! Keep going!

2 Likes

My son would have SO loved these as a kid. at age 5 he was helping a HS kid find good books on Egypt to do a report.

2 Likes

These look so cool. Thanks for sharing. I love your stuff.

1 Like

Quite a unique concept, and the inlay (or painted?) figures look great!

1 Like

I love these! And I love your passion for Egyptology. Thank you for sharing your work.

The sixth graders at the elementary school my kids attended do an Egyptian unit each year. The students do a bunch of individual projects then display their work at a big event for the younger students and the parents. I had so much fun helping my kids make paper mache canopic jars, a life-size Tutankhamun sarcophagus, a model of the sphinx, a full-scale styrofoam Rosetta Stone, cartouches, and, of course, model pyramids. It was a great learning experience for the kids, and I always love a good project.

3 Likes

Those are acrylic inlay, but I’ve done some painted ones too. Thanks.

I’m sorry to be a stick in the mud, but this is looting, is 100% illegal, and those pieces of limestone, regardless of whether it’s lying on the ground or stored in a museum, belongs to the people of Egypt and not whichever random tourist decides to take them home. Apart from the fact that it’s literally theft, like you said, if everyone took home a piece from every archaeological or historical site they visited, the damage done would be monumental. Looting is a HUGE problem; so much archaeology and cultural heritage has been and is being lost and damaged beyond repair because people take whatever they can find; either for themselves, or to sell. I know your post comes from a place of love of the ancient world, and I empathize hugely with that, but collecting replicas is really the only ethical way to do it.

Ok. Rant over.

4 Likes

It is illegal to take sand or pebbles from beaches in the UK and Italy (just the two I know of).

In Italy, you can get a 6-month prison term from it. Fines can be between €500 and €3,000.

No don’t be sorry. I’m taking archaeology courses with Harvard University and Archaeologists of today are highly addressing the behaviors of the past

. Most of these items are back in Egypt. The opening of the new Grand Egyptian museum is scheduled for later this year. You can be a voice for change by joining an Egyptian Archaeology society like https://www.ees.ac.uk/. I just visited Penn State Egyptian museum and had a lovely chat with one of the curators there. I plan on going to Boston next to the Museum of fine arts. You could take courses and learn more about the cause you feel so strongly about. I’m a member of the EES and I’d love to see you get involved.

2 Likes