Eight arms to hold you

Thanks. I’ll give it a try. :+1:

I wonder if anyone has tried slapping a pad made of magic eraser on an orbital sander. I bet that would get the excess sharpie off with a quickness.

2 Likes

Very beautiful!!!

I have not had much success with the settings I use. I never get a deep engrave. What are the settings for your tile?

Pretty standard settings that you get by searching for them. I’ve noticed that almost any good hard engrave settings seem to get about the same result.

Just go rummaging around in BtM and you’ll find them. My engrave isn’t deep, it’s not really possible to get much depth… you’re just taking advantage of the change in surface quality and porousness to get the ink to selectively stick.

1 Like

I used a magic eraser knockoff once - placed it on the tile and the sander on top of that. It wasn’t radically successful. I couldn’t get it to move smoothly so it either vibrated but didn’t move or spun off the table.

Do they make real orbital sander pads out of magic eraser material?

1 Like

I own this set. I put my Magic Eraser on one of the flat discs and it works great. I used contact cement to adhere the eraser to the disc.

4 Likes

Good info. How much life do you get from a sponge? I find that by hand I have to replace portions of the sponge fairly regularly when I’m doing a bunch of tiles - I usually cut them in quarters because I’ll tear up random parts on the bigger surface and end up using more of them that way.

1 Like

Yeah I tear through my off brand magic erasers, they disintegrate into powder. I use little bits that I cut off, just enough to do the job.

2 Likes

There are polishing pads intended for automotive applications that are very similar but they are not cheap. In fact, they are quite expensive.

I keep mine in a ziploc bag after cleaning to prevent dust from getting on them. No way I’d let them near ceramic tile.

It’s just plain melamine foam. You can buy it all over the Internet or Amazon. Just cut to size and shape you need. I’ve bought it to use for cushioning in camera cases.

1 Like

Yeah the question is whether or not someone has taken the step to sell them in convenient rounds with velcro. Sure I could cut foam to match, but ideally, it’d be an off the shelf product so that I don’t spend my time messing about with foam cutting.

1 Like
3 Likes

Well well well, that’s interesting. A bit smaller than my sander, but it’s good to know it exists. Nice searching.

1 Like

Anytime

Necroing this post as a warning to others to not do the stupid things I do. If you do buy these markers, you should probably try them when you get them, and not 7 months later. I just opened mine and found 1/3 of them were completely dry.

You might be able to resurrect them with a few drops of denatured or isopropyl alcohol. Alcohol markers can sometimes be brought back.

3 Likes