Eight arms to hold you

Fooling with colored tiles.

Closeup…

But then I didn’t like it, so I redid it and got this, which i think works better.

And why not:

Bonus, then I went outside and made a new friend:

A baby barred owl on the neighborhood trails. Good times, happy quarantine everybody!

79 Likes

The green/blue is very nice, agreed.

We’re overrun with quail here for some reason… We’re strange.

4 Likes

Nice! Did you use Sharpies?

3 Likes

Sharpie knockoffs yeah.

ZenZoi Permanent Markers Set – 36 Fine Point Felt Tip Drawing Art Markers – Child Safe Non-Toxic Industrial Fabric Marker Pen, Great Office & School Supplies – 18 Assorted Vibrant Colors https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L0P0B0M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_b7qPEbBW0CPH0

4 Likes

You have inspired me to try my own tile!

3 Likes

They’re alcohol based so you can blend the colors with a little extra alcohol once you get them drawn on. It’s a very analog process but it’s cool.

8 Likes

Really like the color variations on both of those. I’ve used Laser Tiles extensively but have never used just regular tiles with coloring on them.

4 Likes

Great result! For some reason I like the first colors best. :thinking:

3 Likes

Very cool. Yet another project to add to my list. Unfortunately, that list seems to grow at a rate that far surpasses my ability to keep up using the laser. Maybe I just need more lasers…

3 Likes

Well since it’s all the same engrave you’re in luck :slight_smile:

1 Like

Like the image and love the colors.

3 Likes

Man I love multiple colors in tile engraves! These all look great, very well done

3 Likes

Good that you’re keeping busy and staying colorful!

2 Likes

Love the gradient of colors - nice effect! And baby owl is so cute : )

2 Likes

I got a big pack of alcohol markers for Christmas and totally forgot to try them on tile. This is an excellent reminder. For some reason, it never crossed my mind to use alchohol to blend on tile, though. I like the first color combo best as well. It seems to flow more organically for some reason.

1 Like

WOW beautiful work! Awesome.

1 Like

ooohhhh… I love this! I am totally going to do some of this! What settings did you use? Did you mask the tile at all?

1 Like

No masking, and you can search “tile settings”. There are tons of threads that cover it already, no need for me to get into it.

2 Likes

You’ve got to share your secret of cleaning up the tile, after coloring. I try to color within the lines to keep from having to clean it up, usually to no avail. I use a magic eraser to do the cleaning, and I try to be careful, but I still get in the engraved area which seems to fade the color.

I don’t know how many times I’ve colored a tile, cleaned it, colored it, cleaned it, etc. :expressionless:

1 Like

I only have two “secrets”.

Do two coats of sharpie.

Let the sharpie set properly, wait 5-10 mins before you start cleaning.

After that it’s all elbow grease.

I have started using salt scrubs to get acrylic ink off tile, have yet to try that with sharpie. Might be worth a shot?

2 Likes