Einstein Tile

Ran across an interesting bit of mathematics news this morning…

I happened to be working on a project that involves hex tiling, so it was easy to create an SVG of the einstein (literally “one stone” in German) tile for your cutting/engraving pleasure.

einstein_tile
Right-click on the image above and “save as” an SVG.

Enjoy!

48 Likes

This seems perfect for scrap use! Just cut a bunch of these and tile them to make something cool!

13 Likes

ok, now this may be my next puzzle pattern.

13 Likes

There is also a project on the Cuttle site.

14 Likes

This is super cool. It’s the perfect random, weird shape to cut out of scrap.

9 Likes

A couple of people on Mastodon were showing off tiles they cut earlier. It was even one person’s first laser cutting project. Drawing in new people with math!

10 Likes

It’s called a Penrose pattern, discovered by Roger Penrose in 1974. Not sure what makes this recent “discovery” different. Veritasum put out a video 2 years ago about it, Numberphile 11 years ago, Matt Parker about 10 years ago, the Royal Institution, etc. Oxford University has a large section of paving that uses it outside the entrance to one of its buildings.

Still very cool, though.

12 Likes

I think what’s new is that it’s a single tile shape, where previous patterns needed more than one tile shape. But I’m mostly learning about this today :smiley:

16 Likes

Thanks!!! this was on my list to make and I hadn’t gotten to it yet. Appreciate the share.

5 Likes

Yes, exactly. Penrose needed two, this can do it with one.

13 Likes

Thank you for sharing. I love the look of this!

6 Likes

Aha! OK, I get it now! Thanks.

4 Likes

Just came here to post this, very cool indeed!

6 Likes

You are wicked!

5 Likes

Oh wow! Definitely going to try this. Thanks for the design!

4 Likes

Not fair! This is the same as using two different tiles, since some are flipped over with respect to the others. In my mind, that’s cheating and not really an improvement over Penrose’s solution.

6 Likes

Yup, puzzle pattern for sure in my future.

3 Likes

Dual side puzzle! Picture on both sides, to add to the complexity!

4 Likes

Same picture on both sides, just rotated or mirrored :joy:

4 Likes

That was actually my first thought, but I then I figure that was TO mean.

3 Likes