El Puerto de Mahon (1786) (Engraved tile, work in progress)

A post I did back in Dec last year:

This is a porcelain tile from Home Depot. They come 9 to a sheet.
I applied 2 coats of Rustoleum flat white paint about 20 minutes apart then let that dry for an hour or so.
Speed = 250
Power = 30
Convert to dots
LPI = 340
Scrub off the excess white paint using paint thinner.

4 Likes

Ohhhh thats gorgeous. No i haven’t tried that yet, but ill give it a go.

1 Like

It is very durable as well. you can’t scratch it off with a metal scraper.

1 Like

Do you want to try your technique with the file I uploaded containing 8 tiles?

Thanks but no, I haven’t got any tiles laying around now anyway.

1 Like

Great engrave and explanation.

1 Like

My friend and I are going to work on building tables on Sunday and I wanted to have another map ready so both of us could work on our own. Just finished engraving this one last night and I’m going to work on inking it tonight. It’s kind of an odd shape for a table, but I love this map and we’re just practicing right now anyways. (36in x 45in)
Ye Old Spanish Main (1933)

This was a test of the first 8 tiles to make sure it looked ok before I did the rest. It’s a little darker than the final 80 will be because I didn’t take the time to wipe off the excess like I normally would.

I’ve uploaded all 10 SVG files (80 tiles total) HERE in case anyone would like to make their own

8 Likes

Tile is a fun medium … maps are cool. Great combo.

3 Likes

Just for grins I downloaded one of your tile sheets and cropped it to one tile. I wanted to test the galvanizing spray again. I think it worked great! The advantages of this spray are that it’s easy to get a very smooth and even coat on the tile, and after engraving there is no need to ink up the engraving and cleanup is super easy (just scrub with a green scrubbie under water to remove unreacted zinc spray). I love the rich chocolate brown shade that you get.

8 Likes

Does anyone know where to get 4in X 4in black slate tiles (without the footpad for coasters) in bulk?