Electric skateboard for my cat

The electric skateboard that I built for my cat MIDI has a throttle lever with a hole in it where treats go. Put a treat into the throttle lever, and she pulls it to get a snack and give the board a boost.

The board was prototyped and built with the Glowforge for custom housings/parts, scavenged bits from electronics/store, some off the shelf electric skateboard drivetrain components, DC motor, and a Adafruit Feather microcontroller.

PNG
PNG
PNG
PNG

58 Likes

Amazing, I can’t stop watching it!!! and Happy Cake Day!

4 Likes

Your cat is soooo much cooler than the cats that live at my house.

5 Likes

That’s incredible! And so is the kitty, mine would have to be removed from the top of my head at the first movement. :smile:

4 Likes

I’m not sure if I’m more impressed by the build or the cat!!!

“Hooman, you are upstaged. Now feed me!”

4 Likes

I think my kitty is a natural skateboarder :smiley: A friend’s cat didn’t want anything to do with the evil rolling machine - even with treat motivation!

4 Likes

Seriously, she is gonna leave me and find success in extreme sports!

3 Likes

This wins on so many levels. Having a laser for electronic projects is so helpful. I’ve been watching all of GreatScott!'s videos and he could use one to up his game.

3 Likes

My cat would just lay in front of it pawing at the rough area of where the treats come out until he fell asleep

3 Likes

Thanks @Jules for making me laugh out loud :joy: my cats would do the same thing :rofl:

Awesome project and even more awesomely chill cat!!!

2 Likes

I’m curious how often people skip making tabs for press fitting, and instead glue things together. I know it may not save me a lot of time, but I’d rather spend my time getting my hands dirty rather than fiddling with tabs & kerf on a computer… so I used superglue and baking soda to stick the draftboard parts together on this project

2 Likes

Nice project. What role does the baking soda play with the glue?

2 Likes

Baking soda can be used to instantly cure super glue (cyanoacrylate), much like the Zip Kicker spray stuff. I like baking soda when I need structural strength since it adds some solid binding material and mass. It’s also less stinky/toxic than spray kicker, and is less fumey for the kitty’s sensitive nose.

8 Likes

That’s really good to know!! Thanks

1 Like

This is brilliant!

I’m not sure which would win out… my cat’s obsession with food or her terror of self-moving objects. It would be an epic internal battle either way.

3 Likes

Oh. My. Gosh. This is the coolest project ever! I don’t dare show it to my cats—they will all want one of their own.

4 Likes

What?! My mind is blown. That’s fantastic. It’s much more sensible than buying a Roomba for the cat to ride.

3 Likes

Wonderful project, and maker skill! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

At least Roomba’s help you around the house :smiley: Maybe a Roomba that has a bed on top with a food tray!

3 Likes