Elf Door for the Fireplace

My dad built a fireplace a few years back, and what with one project or another, left this wire access hole unfinished

He mentioned the other day that it is bothering him that he left it unfinished and asked if, maybe, next time I came to visit I could finish it up for him (he has since had back and open heart surgery, so he can’t really do it these days)

I said ‘no problem’, took some measurements and fully intended to patch the hole with a piece of red oak.

But then my glowforge started whispering in my ear, and y’all know how that turns out!

Made this on a base of draftboard, the rest is wood veneer, GF cut and glued in place

Fun project! Hope the old man is as tickled as I am

45 Likes

What a cute idea! Is the plug going to go off to the side? I feel like the plug would spoil the cuteness if it had to go through the window.

8 Likes

That’s so cute!!

4 Likes

Totally agree. Won’t know for sure until tomorrrow, but the tentative plan is to use my multitool to carve back the base inside the fireplace so I can sneak it out the bottom left corner of the Elf Door’s front wall

5 Likes

Too cute!

6 Likes

I love this project! Don’t stay away for another three years, please.

8 Likes

You have to update with the finished photo!

4 Likes

Dude! You ROCK!

You put whimsy and practicality into one design. I hope your dad loves it.

Like @dklgood says, come around more often.

8 Likes

I noticed there was an absence of a banana at your house. The substitute is even more accurate than a banana I might say. Fun way to fill a void so to speak. I hope your dad enjoys it as much as we all did!

5 Likes

Terrific! Aahhh, teh GF whisper! I know it so well!

5 Likes

Wonderful! I’m a big fan of fairy/elf doors, and using one to solve a practical problem is the ultimate. I hope you update with his reaction when you get a chance.

5 Likes

What a cute practical cut!

5 Likes

I love when people add bits of whimsy. Can’t wait to see the final result!

3 Likes

It’s a good thing GF wasn’t around in Sinbad’s day, or he may never have completed his quests!

2 Likes

Now that is cute, great job

2 Likes

Nice! Next you’ll have to make him elves climbing around the fireplace!

1 Like

Cute! Do you have a picture of it in place?