Embossi Printboards : inked MDF from Etsy

Has anyone else tried this? I’ve been having a good time with it, though it is fussy. Needs a really clean lens and tight pin down to cut through; smells pretty bad while cutting, but goes away quickly; I have had a little difficulty with slots - sometimes the ink is just thick enough to not go through or to separate.

14 Likes

(saved you a google :wink: )

5 Likes

I assume it’s sublimation printed? or is it UV printing?

Do you mask it? Does it come premasked?

2 Likes

Someone got a UV printer!

4 Likes

It doesn’t come masked and DON’T mask it - it catches on fire. It cuts with little soot on PG med draft board settings, and wiping it down with alcohol takes that right off. So many gorgeous prints….

4 Likes

I have a sublimation setup and I would love to find a way to get art onto MDF. I have tried a couple of things that did not work out at all.

2 Likes

I have the same problem. I think it is because sublimation inks are primarily for man made materials. They don’t do well, nor hold up well, on natural fibers/woods. If you figure it out, let me know. I have a ton of MDF and bottles of sublimation ink and ne’er the twain shall meet…apparently.

1 Like

There must be some kind of coating we can put on wood products, and sub onto that… But I haven’t found it yet!

2 Likes

The only time I played with it, we were printing onto epoxy-impregnated fiberglass. This was almost 20 years ago.

Try polycrylic or this: PolyNatural Sublimation Coating for Wood & Stone (matte finish) - DyePress Graphic Supply

I have some of the poly natural, but never got a chance to try it.

3 Likes

Thanks!

I would love to try sublimation but just don’t have the room.

I tried polycrylic but it became a melty mess. That other product looks very promising though! Thanks!

I wonder if you can undercoat with white before you use it… Part of the appeal of sublimating onto wood is keeping the look of wood, but sometimes you want bold colors, like you’re working with white plastic.

1 Like

I’m in a FB group run by that company. If you want a white background, you should use their polygloss as the poly natural is meant to soak into wood. The poly gloss may be a better option for MDF anyway.

3 Likes

Aha, now I see the difference. Very cool, thanks!

1 Like