I have really been putting my Glowforge through some heavy duty endurance testing over the past few days. Overall i am really impressed with how well it handled it. In fact I think i am in worse shape then it is.
For those who haven’t seen my other posts, i am in the process of making 160 wooden boxes. Unfortunately the timeline is fairly tight due to the timing of my vacation, which i really need at this point.
I’m currently in the processes of cutting the engraved tops for the boxes. After a few hiccups getting my files prepared in a way that kept the print times under the magic 4 hour mark. In the end i was able to get 8 tops on each sheet of PG walnut plywood. Each one printed in about 3.5 hours at 270 LPI. We ended up dropping down to 225 after we awhile to help shorten the total print time.
The total print time for the top alone will be around 65 hrs plus another 12-15 hrs for the personalized engravings on the front face.
Now the endurance part, to make the deadline i need to keep this thing cutting for as long as i could each day. With a little help from a friend we kept it running for about 18-20 hr a day, giving it a short break now and then. This has been going on since Saturday morning and we are getting closer to the end but we still have a bunch to go.
Overall it has been running like a champ. The engrave is running at 100% power and 880 speed so it is not an easy job when it comes to wear on the tube.
I know people are upset with the operating temperature of the GF, but for a unit that has no external cooling this is impressive. Current the ambient temperature in the room is about 72-74 F so it is not running a hot environment but i don’t think it is reasonable to expect self contained unit like this to operate in a 90F room.
The only small issue i ran into during the engraves was about half way through the weekend i noticed that the top left top was cutting all the way the the backing paper. This ended up being caused by the unit getting super dirty. So after a break for a little lens cleaning i was back to normal. I’m also starting to hear a little extra noise from the fan behind the head which i think is also caused by build up.
This has been a super messy job. Just look at the build up on the tube. This is after i already cleaned it twice.
Here are a few more picture of the piles of parts and partially finished boxes.
Please excuse my rambling and any typos, I’m a little low on sleep right now.
Now back to glueing boxes.