Engrave on a Dollar Tree Glass Plate

I’ve been trying to document some of the things I’ve been playing with on the Glowforge so that I have a reference to settings in the future and I figured why not make a how-to video on how to do some of these things

I couldn’t find a lot of information on how to do a glass plate, so here is the latest thing I’ve made along with a link to the video if you’d like to know how to do it yourself.

You can view the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CTYusiYD3A

22 Likes

Nice simple project. The trick is usually finding a glass plate that will fit.

1 Like

I bought this dessert sized one and a dinner sized one. I haven’t tried the dinner sized one yet, but have smaller risers if it’s a bit bigger.

I link to the files for the risers (@GrooveStranger) and the focus tool (@eflyguy) in the video description. Both came in super handy with this project.

2 Likes

Your text engraved perfectly. I watched your video because I wanted to see what you put on the glass before engraving. I was surprised to see you didn’t have to use anything and still get such good results. Thanks for the video.

3 Likes

(I’ve done spice jar lids and shot glasses with nothing applied to them, just depends on the glass.)

1 Like

Yeah I have done those same plates before, they are pretty awesome. I generally use dish soap on the glass before the engrave but yours seems to have came out good without.

3 Likes

I wasn’t sure what to try as far as prepping it, so I went bare to start with. I’ve seen mention of all sorts of things, masking, dish soap, wet paper towels, etc.

Glass was something that didn’t seem to have a lot of specifics when I was researching it. I figured I could make a funny “What not to do when engraving glass” video if things went south. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Well, you had great results and I am anxious to give it a try myself . Thanks for sharing your work.

3 Likes

Turned out great!

3 Likes