Engrave skipping

I’ve had a couple engraves skip over spots. It’ll be going, then randomly leave a horizontal stripe across my material (so far wood and leather) unengraved. On both times I’ve been using the High Quality Graphic settings , slightly adjusted with more power or slower speed. Attached are photos and the approximate date and time of the most recent incident was yesterday Jan. 12 at around 5:00 pm MST.

1 Like

Support can’t help with problems related to non-Proofgrade materials.

They will likely ask you to print the Gift of Good Measure on the spare Medium Draftboard that was sent with your machine.

FWIW, the engraves on wood look like a material density or finish issue to me. The leather doesn’t, though.

1 Like

I am by no means an expert here, but I do have a lot of experience with different materials… Just a guess, but maybe the leather wasn’t laying completely flat?? (warped wood has same effect :frowning:)

Might need to check into it further but i don’t think duct tape is laser safe. Some brands contain chlorides which can destroy your machine if you are lasering through them. Not saying the stuff you have used contains those, just wanted to throw it out there because i can see you were cutting through it in that last photo.

You should make some hold down pins out of your scrap :proofgrade: they work great :slight_smile:
The origional honeycomb hold down pins here.
Or these are the ones I modified.

2 Likes

Thank you @eflguy that is correct, since this problem is being seen on materials that were purchased from another company, we can’t offer support for prints that don’t come out as expected. Materials may vary widely from piece to piece, even if they’re created by the same manufacturer. However, we can try some troubleshooting and a test print or two. I’d like to have you try printing your design on Proofgrade material. Before you do, would you please make sure your optics are clean using our Things that need wiping support page?

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.