This is still a work in progress as I continue to experiment, but I wanted to post this to show off some of the neat effects I’ve been able to achieve using the Glowforge and an airbrush.
I’ve been working on some designs for Dungeons and Dragons dungeon tiles. These are used when you’re playing D&D to map out the dungeon for the players to play on with their miniatures. You may have seen some of my other work like this that I posted previously in the Temple of Tiamat.
My original idea was to simply engrave and cut them and leave them as raw wood, but when compared to 3D printed dungeon tiles, they just looked unfinished and cheap, so I thought I’d play around with painting them, and I’m so glad I did, because the results are pretty phenomenal.
The cool part is that I prime them first with black, and I make sure I get the black all the way into the engraves and stuff, then I come back with a neutral gray, and just hit it with a light spray of that, and then finally, I do a highlight pass with white. What winds up happening is that the engraved areas keep the black paint, while the white and gray sit on top, this really brings out the design spectacularly. Even the light engraving I did on the tiles that have wood grain on them came out great when I painted them brown.