Engraved glass tile

Tried something new today. Got a 4x12 glass tile with white backing and engraved it in reverse on the back side.

this is the tile i used.

i was hoping i’d engrave through the whole backing and then color it in. but it basically darkened the back to be a very dark gray where i engraved. and that was two 35 min engrave passes at full power. i tested a little marker on the back and it doesn’t show through at all.

35 Likes

This is what the back looks like.

22 Likes

For black and white images though, that’s fabulous!

14 Likes

it’s definitely a “classier” look than plain old white tile. but yeah, it’s 100% B&W, no coloring is possible.

11 Likes

It looks like that tile I tried before. I am surprised you needed two passes.

13 Likes

i did the second pass hoping it would get darker. no dice. it stayed the dark grey

11 Likes

I like that result. I did a comic tile once with standard sharpie on white tile:

It’s a nice satisfying project.

12 Likes

It came out fantastic

8 Likes

Ooh… that’s nice. May need to get a few of those!

8 Likes

I think it looks great. I’m going to have to get some of those.

7 Likes

I’ve done a few on regular white tiles, wanted to try something a little different. This tile feels a little more elegant.

Also, with the engraving on the back, I realized that this is a tile that could be mounted on the wall and not have to worry about breaking the glaze on the surface.

9 Likes

This could be very nice for certain projects. Sometimes black and white is the most elegant.

6 Likes

Thant looks great.

7 Likes

I haven’t seen this kind of use for glass tiles before, bravo!

(Ps - I have found some glass tiles at Home Depot that show paint color after engraving and painting, keep testing if that’s what you’re after)

8 Likes

Great choice of subject for your tile!

6 Likes

I love this. Perfect material for the comic strip!

7 Likes