Engraved Glass

My wife and I were cleaning during football today and found a few picture frames. She asked me can we engrave the glass ? After a bit of research I found some settings that I liked and she came up with the quote. For our first attempt (well second … see below) we though it turned out well

Settings:
Full Power
700 Speed
270 LPI
.082 Focus Height

I did use blue painters tape on both sides of the glass. Nothing else.

Glass taped and ready to cut

Remember at the top we said see below … well here it is. The first time we tried this we had the power set at 1. Just so everyone knows … If you want to mark painters tape, the laser setting is 1. That’s the white in the picture.

After weeding. We did notice that the tape left a bit of residue on the glass. Cleaned right off with some glass cleaner. The background is just a piece of Cricut brown cardstock.

We used the Cricut to cut a piece of black Kraftboard to put behind the glass. Overeall we felt it turned out well.

37 Likes

Nice! I’ve been wanting to play more with glass and mirrors in the GF.

BTW, we can only discuss non-PG settings in Beyond the Manual, so I moved this over for you. :blush:

3 Likes

Nice!
Glad to know regular glass comes out well. Appreciate the tip on the setting of 1–have found that out, too on a project! But it’s a great way to confirm the design will be where you want it! And glad you did the etching from the back side, too.

This is a lovely little project and the results are fantastic! It definitely makes me more eager to do some projects with glass.

Thank you for sharing!

1 Like

thanks for the settings. good timing, was looking for these jut now

1 Like

I love engraving on glass. One trick that I’ve found is to smear some white toothpaste in an even thin layer over the surface. This acts as a heat sink and works just like masking but without the hassle of clean up afterwards. Simply rinse it off in a sink.

2 Likes

Dish soap does the same thing and is cheaper than toothpaste :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Lovely!

Thanks for the suggestions about the toothpaste and the dish soap. We have decided that after 10 pieces of glass we will be sticking to the blue painters tape on both sides of the piece. It works best for us. Here’s another piece we did.

This piece is not in it’s frame … just on a paper towel

3 Likes

If you posted that in a machine embroidery forum, they’d all be asking you how you embroidered on paper towels. :wink:

3 Likes

Thanks for your post. I have been afraid to engrave on glass. (I’m always afraid when trying something new), but I took some of your suggestions and used masking tape and engraved on the back.

Settings:
Full Power
700 Speed
270 LPI
.07 Focus Height

I loved how easy it was and I loved the final product. Don’t mind the smudges, I promise it was all cleaned up before gifting. I won’t post the final photo, out of respect for my client, but I will certainly be engraving on glass more often.

2 Likes

Looks beautiful. Why do you decide to put painters tape on both sides? Is the opposite side to prevent reflection from the laser?

Your piece looks great @mmecham.
I thought I had read somewhere that would help with reflection. Really just the way I decided to do it. It works so now it’s just my method. :wink: So it uses a bit more tape., but it works for me.:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great idea. Thanks for the tips!

I haven’t machine embroidered on paper towel, but, I have done a couple of rolls of toilet paper. (Just the starting sheet, of course).

1 Like

Wow, that’s gotta be tricky!

1 Like

Just unroll slightly, put stabilizer underneath it. Didn’t hoop the toilet paper. Stitched like a dream. Fun gift topper. Looked for a photo … I don’t have either.

3 Likes

Thank you was asked to make a photo frame for aomeone and now I am gonna try the settibg this weekend

Your welcome. I hope it works out for you. We have done quite a few more pieces with these exact settings and all have turned out great. Let us know how yours turned out.