Engraved Leather Notebook Cover

So like @geek2nurse called it, now that I’ve started posting I’m hooked on the badges! So I’ll be sharing a few more of the things I’ve been making since I got my forge last May, purely for badges and likes (just kidding, I like making friends, inspiring, and getting to know you guys too!)

I do a lot of engraving on leather - mostly misc oil tanned from @SpringfieldLeatherCo. This is one of my favorite pieces so far: it’s a hand stitched agenda cover for my Hobonichi Techo Cousin planner (I’m a planner nerd, lol).

58 Likes

That’s a very pleasant contrast. I like!

3 Likes

Beautiful! :grinning:

1 Like

I think that’s my favorite notebook I’ve seen made yet

1 Like

Muted elegance.

1 Like

I must do something with leather. I just do not have any of the finishing materials. Where is a good place for a newb to start? Tutorials?

Almost forgot - that cover is really beautiful. I’ll second the “muted elegance” comment!

2 Likes

@gewubs Honestly I learned the most by just trial-and-error. @SpringfieldLeatherCo has some great scrap boxes and leather bundles, that you get a lot of great materials for a bargain price to test on!

3 Likes

Hey, I got you another badge with the 10th like!

4 Likes

Hah. Badges can be addictive!

The notebook cover is really pretty. It’s got a classy color scheme.

2 Likes

Wow! That is a very beautiful and professional looking notebook! Thank you for the shout out as well. Appreciate it!

5 Likes

It’s lovely! The design is perfectly suited, and the engraving really compliments the leather color

2 Likes

Yes, the subtle coloring is very nice, and kudos on the lovely stitching as well.

Nicely done! The contrast (as others have already said :wink: ) is really nice. Great job on the hand sewing as well. People just don’t know how difficult it can be to get saddle stitch to turn out right …

1 Like

What a gorgeous notebook cover! I love the design that you engraved. Question: have you engraved navy leather before? I’m wondering what color the engraving areas would be?

Thank you! I haven’t done navy but would imagine the engrave would be dark and wouldn’t contrast greatly. It much depends on the type / process of tanning the leather is (you shouldn’t engrave or cut chrome tans because of the fumes the tanning chemicals give off). I imagine a navy veg tan would take well, just wouldn’t be of high contrast. :slight_smile:

I really appreciate your feedback! As you can tell, I’m doing research before attempting to laser my leather and the term chrome tans is new to me. I’m assuming that I cannot cut or engrave faux leather??

First off - beautiful!

Second - is that hand stiched? I’m just starting in leather work and wonder how to sew that…

The post is quite old, but states “hand stitched”.

Thanks @mrinken ! It is all hand stitched. I have diamond tip leather punches and do all the sewing with a double needed stitch and a stitching pony. It’s easy to learn and definitely takes practice to master but the end result is totally worth it! Good luck!