Engraved Leather

Here’s the final product of the video I posted last night. This is oil tanned cow hide. I cut it with my cutting dies and press, not the Glowforge. It came out really nice! I just used Proofgrade settings for leather.

81 Likes

Very nice.

3 Likes

Beautiful! (I need to find out if Glowforge is going to ever offer any dyed leathers in their :proofgrade: lineup.)

4 Likes

"cutting dies and press"
This is sounding expensive. :smiley:

2 Likes

Those field notes though. Man, I know the perfect recipient for something like that. Must research… great job!

2 Likes

If they do it might be fine for hobbyists. The cost would be too much for me since I order full hides by the dozen.

2 Likes

Thank you! I’ll make it easy for you:

15 Likes

Gosh, that’s some of the finest leather work on this forum!

4 Likes

Son of a gun! I didn’t realize you were Blackthorn leather! I think I ordered a couple of belts from you years ago …those were the best belts…they last forever! Hubs finally managed to mangle the last one a few months ago and I was thinking of re-ordering but couldn’t remember where I got them.

And I just recognized your site when I looked at it. :smile: Serendipity.

Better order another cow hide, I think I just figured out his Christmas gift. (And mine too this time!)

Nice to meet you! What a small world!

11 Likes

Thanks so much! :heart:️:beers::facepunch:

1 Like

great work man… wow

1 Like

Oh wow that’s so cool! Thanks for the support, I’d love to make more great things for you! If you’re local to Los Angeles, I’ll be vending at the Renegade Craft Fair in December 9-10. Small world indeed! Cheers!

4 Likes

No, I’m half a country away, but I’ll try to get the order in pretty quick…the holidays are sneaking up like a freight train on steroids. :smile:

2 Likes

I don’t know which I like more, the one with dark stitching or light stitching. They both look great!
What kind of a stitch is the one with white thread?

I really like the engrave you did.

2 Likes

Oh, I didn’t realize you were Blackthorn Leather! You do beautiful work!

1 Like

That’s me! Thank you!

I am engraving on some oil tanned leather without tape on it, because as you know it pulls the finish off if you do, so how do you clean the char off without smearing it all over? Thanks in advance!

I love topo maps! Your Field Notes notebook looks like something my grandad, a civil engineer, would carry around.