Engraved shark tooth fossil

I have buckets of fossil shark tooth fragments and some small whole teeth. I was interested in seeing if I could engrave them… turns out it works fairly well. Now if only I could figure out what to do with them after engraving them…

22 Likes

Welcome back. It is good to know you can engrave shark teeth if, in fact, you ever need to. I don’t have access to any fossil shark teeth fragments, or other fragments of dental material, but I appreciate that you shared this info. I suspect your experience is similar to antler, bone and shell engraving.

3 Likes

Oooh! I’ve got a few fossilized shark’s teeth and some ammonites. Not sure I want to engrave on them, but it’s good to know I could! :grinning:

4 Likes

This is what keeps the forum interesting.

3 Likes

Very cool idea, i would have never thought of doing something like that.

1 Like

There are a lot of places where shark teeth and other such fossils are common. In Florida Venice Beach is perhaps the best known, As most folks are looking for teeth, large obvious ones don’t hang around long but every tide turns up lots of little ones. OTO, there are shoals of other fossils from bits of bone or wood to the best I found that was a plate of a turtle shell.

When the Movie Jaws first came out we would go camping at Venice beach and find what we could, but the store there would buy the collections from others and sell them for a penny a piece, but in Miami the Museum paid 25 cents each and sold them for 50 cents and that way we paid for the trips,

As for engraving they are all rocks and can be treated as such.

5 Likes

The difference is that the teeth have been mineralized by time. The teeth aren’t there anymore, just the impression they left. Closer to engraving slate than teeth or bone.

4 Likes

And the natural extension of this is to engrave my ugly mug on a scrap tooth. Happy nightmares…

7 Likes

Do “Kilroy was here” on them and then drop them back on the beach for someone to find them and wonder :grin:

3 Likes

Do “Kilroy was Tasty” and drop them on the beach. :yum:

11 Likes

I’m 100% taking the one I engraved with my face down to the river with me next week… Hey guys! Look what I found!

5 Likes

Got it. Organic, then petrified or fossilized. Not like bone, antler, shell which is still organic.

3 Likes

Hey! Happy Birthday @Seediph :sunglasses:

:sparkles: :balloon: :tada: :confetti_ball: :partying_face: Happy Birthday @Seediph :partying_face: :confetti_ball: :tada: :balloon: :sparkles:

1 Like

Blinged up shark dentures?

Probably not much of a market.

1 Like