Engraved tile lidded box

I finally have time to post my Mother’s Day project. My mom is redoing her guest bathroom with a beach theme. I found some clip art of a tropical fish and colored it with markers. I cut the box out of proofgrade maple, but decided it was to light and wanted more contrast with the white tile. Rather than sand of the finish I used some dark gel stain. Then finished it off with some clear poly spray. I wanted to add a design element on the side and added a wave pattern that I made using the zig zag filter in illustrator and since I hate to wait I cut instead of engraving. Which gave the idea to get some ocean themed potpourri (which totally is a thing).

I am very happy with the results.

59 Likes

That is a beautiful piece!

1 Like

Here is the prototype. I added little feet too, since the counter might get wet.

31 Likes

Love it! That stain is really a nice color too! :grinning:

1 Like

Oh, very nice!!

2 Likes

Ohmygosh, these boxes are just gorgeous! I’ve been wondering what I would do with a tile if I did one; to put a beautifully colored one into the lid of a gorgeous box is a perfect use!

1 Like

Fantastic! Beautiful pieces indeed.

1 Like

Stunning! The wave pattern really fits the theme … Very, very nice.

Beautiful

Nice job coloring that butterfly fish!

1 Like

These came out really nice. While the joints are still visible, the effect is minimal and the end result looks more handmade/not so obviously laser made.

1 Like

I really do like the smaller finger joints. I got the inspiration from @evansd2

2 Likes

I upgraded my prototype with some paint.

9 Likes

Beautiful! How can I purchase the file?[quote=“bwente, post:1, topic:24548, full:true”]
I finally have time to post my Mother’s Day project. My mom is redoing her guest bathroom with a beach theme. I found some clip art of a tropical fish and colored it with markers. I cut the box out of proofgrade maple, but decided it was to light and wanted more contrast with the white tile. Rather than sand of the finish I used some dark gel stain. Then finished it off with some clear poly spray. I wanted to add a design element on the side and added a wave pattern that I made using the zig zag filter in illustrator and since I hate to wait I cut instead of engraving. Which gave the idea to get some ocean themed potpourri (which totally is a thing).

I am very happy with the results.

[/quote]

4 Likes

This is very beautiful…your mom will love it!

Looks really nice! Love the mixture of the wood and tile.

Hey Kelma; Welcome to the forum!
FYI most folks will list that information up front if they have it - or if they want to give it away for free they’ll post in the Free Laser Designs category. One trick is to click on their icon, because folks who have stores will often put their URL in their profile :slight_smile: (@bwente does not, but for the future)

Good luck!

1 Like

Nice job on this one. The tiny fingers makes a nice clean not-so-lasered look. I really like the waves cut in the sides. It’s a nautical look without being in your face.

1 Like

I would suggest maybe a different design honestly. It is very top heavy when you open it. There are better solutions on the forum if you search for tile box. If you would like to make your own I would suggest boxes.py that way you can create a design that fits your tile and your material.

Here is a corner that you can use on a generated box design. Just edit the svg in AI or Inkscape.

hinge_corner

Antonio Gomes has a similar box design, that is just wood.

If you get stuck ask for help on the forum.

2 Likes

I just love the wavy (watery) edges!