Engraving Acrylic

I want to engrave Thick Proofgrade Acrylic .100 inches deep. Is there a table somewhere I can look up the settings or is it just trial and error?

3 Likes

At this point, probably trial and error. (Maybe someone has come up with some settings for that kind of precision, but I haven’t seen it.) :neutral_face:

2 Likes

Here’s how I’ve gotten precise depths:

• create an .svg file with 5 or 6 small circles of different colors
  • surround them by a tight rectangle
  • add a cut line down the center (bisecting all circles and the rectangle)
  • engrave the circles with various power settings, and cut the line and then the rectangle
  • measure depth with your calipers

It generally takes 2 or 3 cycles of tuning in to the proper settings based on your speed, LPI, and precision needs.

12 Likes

Sounds like a plan. Thank you.

1 Like

What did you learn?

Can you share a baseline config to help us others to find it in 1 cycle instead of 3? :slight_smile:

Do we have a best practice to not share settings and learnings like below on this forum? :slight_smile: EDIT: Apparently we split up threads into 2 threads. 1 that is just for show and 1 for the “tell” settings (or move the thread if it gets enriched)
Machine: GF pro
Target: engrave depth 1mm/0.04inch
Material: PlexiGlass 3mm / 0.12inch
my settings:
Cut - speed/power 100/100
Engrave - 500/50 (offset focus height)
LPI 225
focus height 0.04 or 0.16 (top or bottom engrave)

7 Likes

Information on settings can be shared in the Beyond the Manual section of the forum.

1 Like

ok i think i get you.

To avoid any legal issues from using settings on the forum you transfer any post/thread an owner publishes about non proofgrade non standard settings to the padlocked “Beyond the Manual” area of the forum.

Correct. :smile:

There is also variation between machines and batches of material, so retuning may be necessary. I used settings for a precise depth in my Ancillary Mode Dial instructions (Ancillary Mode Dial) but there minor variation between jobs was handled by the design.

1 Like

What is an offset focus height?
How does the focus height 0.04 or 0.16 (top or bottom engrave) work with .12 material?
So a mirrored engrave from the bottom is .16?

thanks
Craig Knippel

You generally specify the top surface, but for some materials, you can get a “nicer” result by adjusting that setting. There are very few posts of actual numbers.

I like the cut line trick. I usually use the probe end in the caliper to measure depth but I can see how the cut line might have some advantages.

The bottom of the “pit” is seldom perfectly flat, it ends up a bit cup-shaped, and it’s nice to see that cross-section. You can actually mitigate this somewhat with an additional de-focused score of the circumference, but that’s only if you want to get very fiddly for a particular material.

Yeah I’ve seen that too. It would be interesting to see if corners vs curves have different profiles.

1 Like